The Planted Tank Forum banner

Setting up flourite

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  stevenjohn21 
#1 ·
Hello all, The first time I tried to set up flourite didn't go so well.

I had to drain the tank and take out the flourite.

So I googled and searched and this time I'm going to rinse it in a bucket until it runs clear and add the water very slowly and hopefully avoid getting a 30 gallon mud puddle.

Anyone have any last minute tips before I give it a try?

Thanks a lot!

#3 ·
I found it much easier to rinse in small batches than large; small batches are easier to get thorough agitation so as much is suspended in the waste water as possible before it's poured off.

A big cat litter box worked well for me. Doesn't have to be tipped as far as a high bucket so it's easier to get more water out on each rinse and the broad base spreads the flourite out so it's easy to get the entire mass agitated on each rinse. Easier to see how clear the water is getting as well, not being in a deep light sink like you get in a bucket.

Bucket's still handy--use it to hold the batches as you finish rinsing 'em.

#6 ·
I never rinse my flourite and never had a problem. The key is a slow fill. I use a bucket and an airline tubing to siphon water into the tank. Sure it takes a while, but it's still faster than spending 2 days or more trying to wash the stuff out and/or having a cloudy mess in the tank.

#9 ·
This is by far the easiest and quickest way. Ive done it to all my tanks and never had a problem.

#8 ·
I've done several tanks now with the stuff--and will always choose to rinse. Not necessarily crystal clear rinsing, but at least knocking the dust back a significant amount.

My first time using it, I didn't rinse, was super careful filling and wondered why there was such a fuss about it. Right up until I did a major re-scape that involved pulling up major root systems. Took massive water changes, filter cleanings and close to a week to get the water clear again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.