The Planted Tank Forum banner

timers for lights

11K views 57 replies 34 participants last post by  driftwoodhunter 
#1 ·
Are all timers the same? My work schedule is such now that my lights are on nearly 12 hrs a day. I use a 48" shop light on my low tech 125, and I'm starting to see algae on the glass as well as some hair algae within the tank. I have a Coralife on my 29 & no algae so far, but still I'd like to use a timer on it.

I see timers at Petsmart made by aquarium companies, but I work at Walmart and we have a large selection of light timers - aren't they all basically the same?

#32 ·
Thanks for all the responses - I'm having trouble getting my email notifications, so I didn't even realize so many posts had been made! lol (as for the notifications, I fix it one day, then all TPT emails are back in my spam folder the next. I'm not the only one having this issue...)

#35 ·
I'm somewhat wary of buying anything more then raw materials at walmart. Especially well regarded brand names - a lot of times they will have special product lines just for walmart that are made to lower quality standards and use inferior parts/materials. I know it's the only place to get some items in a lot of the U.S., and I'm rather lucky that I live in an area where I have other options, and would have to go to some effort to get to a walmart.

I thought the book "The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powrful Company Really Works-- and How It's Transforming the American Economy" by Charles Fishman
(amazon linky)
was pretty interesting, without actually demonizing the corporation.

Anyways, as to timers, I've always been partial to those ones with individual blocks that are pushed up/down. It gives the option of multiple photoperiods, and is pretty easy to use. I just keep an eye on them, check them every week or month or so, and occasionally re-adjust them. pretty reliable and low maintenance, in my experience.

#40 ·
I got to use digital with battery back up because I am running 8 different timers and one that controls three different outlets. I have 3 small screen brinks and two of the larger screen, one mechanical, a harbor freight one and the 3 channel timer for my lighting set up. I run three 2, 4', T-8 bulbs fixtures. So at 10am the first one turns on and 11am the next and noon the last one and vice versa starting at 5pm. I run different bulbs in each set up so it is like sunrise, full sun, then sun set. Then I have a total of around 30 watts of led's that turn on before the main lights and turn off after the main lights for added extra effect and color to the tank. Then with the power that goes out as often as it does where I live, I am not reseting that many mechanical timers. Then I have a algae grower to control, air pump/stones that turn on at night, the co2 system, a extra pump in 75g tank to circulate water several times a day. I think that is it. Oops one more mechanical timer that I always have problems with after about a year of operation on my ten gal. guppy tank light and oh one more that turns a light on at night in living room so my older father can see at night. So you can see why I went digital. And next time I am at H.F. I will pick up two or three spare timers after reading all this about the brinks digitals going out. Nice thing about digitals with battery back up after they are charged up, I can un-plug them and set them in my hand and plug them back in, in the hard to reach spots and no mechanical parts to wear out or gears to strip or motor to stop working.

#42 ·
I have been looking for the same timer! I cant find one decent digital timer that is not bulky, 3 prong, and reliable. I am so close to buying this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-lite-basic-digital-aquatics.html. I want to have a lunar /dawn dusk lighting, but you can add so many other features. For a reliable organized, and safe way to control your aquarium this is the way to go! I cant see paying $15-25 per digital timer, then add $20-30 for a good power strip (you will need at least 2 due to the bulky timers) your already at $100...It looks ugly and you have to program each one! Let me know what you end up doing! GL :biggrin:

#43 ·
I feel your pain! When I was doing marine tanks those controllers were damned handy. I just roil at the thought of having to spend $120+ on one for 3 stupid timer functions. It gobsmacks me that there isn't a wide variety of these things on the market with any and all kinds of functions for not a lot of dough. It's not like they're using i7s in them. Also, on the battery backup function (just to go back to the Brinks junk) - on 2 of mine, they don't work. Laughable...if not pathetic.

Once in a while you can find those controllers (older versions) used in the $50 range, Nunster.

#45 ·
I got this one for my Christmas present. I was very wary of digital as whichever one it was I had before was a pain to deal with but this one is easy to use. The few reviews I found mentioned that only the clock needs to be reset when power goes out but I didn't need to do even that when I moved it from the test station [kitchen] to the tank. It has 5 plugs on timers and each can have 6 on/off cycles a day plus an untimed plug.
http://aquafinatic.com/reef-octopus-electronic-surge-protector-timer/
It has been on the tank for only a week but so far so good. Nice not to have a tangle of timers and power strips. There is very little out there on this timer, I have the old power strips and timers ready to go back into service if this thing fails!

For $30 more I could have bought a real controller though. Not sure I want to get into all that though.

#46 ·
Hey guys, I use the Westek Digitak Timer (TE22)

http://www.contractorsav.com/westek-products - the second one from the top, I ususally buy them from Target in a two (2) pack for around $11-15.

I'm currently running 3 of them on three different tanks and have absolutely no complaints. The hardest thing was reading the manual.

Digital with battery backup and about 20 programs per day/week.

#48 ·
My favorite timer is my three channale set up that I got for $27 on [Ebay Link Removed] It can do 17 different functions a day. I am only using three. I had to wire outlets to the thing. It is a commercial style timer made to run fans, lighting in green houses and what not. Then top it off it has a battery in it that lasts up to a week. But if your not comfortable doing some electrical work, it's not the timer for you. I really need to get some pics up loaded so I can show what I am talking about. I'll try to do that this weekend. I really need to get to bed now. haha

#49 ·
I have some digital timers from Walmart that I've been using for years. I don't remember the brand, but I know they have battery backup because I can pull them out and program them in my hand and then plug them back in.

I've never had any issues with them, they just work?

I think the key is make sure they have a battery backup and a 3 prong plug! Nothing like needing one and not having on!

#50 ·
This is my favorite timer so far. I have been using the brinks digitals for three months so far and so far I give them five out of five. Power has gone out several times and they have worked perfect. Before using them, you should plug them in over night to charge them up. One thing I am doing is useing a really good surge protector that is plug into a GFI outlet.

#54 ·
do you guys use your times to 'rest' your plants mid day? i read plants like it alge doesn't... never heard that before...

oh, and some of you have fancy timers... me? - aw, thanks for asking ;)
when i get up i turn on the lights and when i go to bed i turn them off...
how is that working you ask? - well i am battling hair alge in one tank and BGA in another so pretty poor... (thus my reading this)... but as I just gassed a bunch of shrimp think i'll stay low tech till i figure stuff out a bit more.

#57 ·
Nunster that contraption is just not worth the fire hazard. There is no way that is to local electrical code (unless you are in a third world country) There is a reason to pay a little extra money for the right equipment, electricution and fire are too pretty good ones for me and my home. I will say the GFCI plugs are nice to see !!!!!!

#58 ·
I just had to update this to make fun of myself...I'm off work today, so I finally hooked up the timer I bought. I chose to do a split photo period because I work from 1 to 10pm, and I want to see the tank on when I come home for fish feedings and my enjoyment. So I was thrilled when the light came on at noon (so I can see what's up in the tank before I leave for work). Then I totally forgot I was using a timer. I had just finished doing a water test & was standing next to the tank when the light popped off. I jumped like a ghost had tapped me on the shoulder! LOL

At least I had a good laugh at myself :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.