The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pricing for the Alternanthera reineckii mini

10K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  MeCasa 
#1 ·
Ya know, someone ask what the going price was for this somewhat new, but common plant(Tropica/Dennerle both sell it), and I jokingly said 50$ a stem.

Lo and behold, I've seen 3-4 offerings at this price:)
I should have said 100$ a stem.:hihi:

#8 ·
LOL when i saw that people actually bought it I just snorted. It's going to be like the hygrophila pinnatifida craze, 40 dollars a stem one week and a couple dollars next week.
only slow growing difficult plants can keep a stable market. and of course troublesome plants that are hit or miss like pogostemon helferi

#15 ·
Some still are charging a lot for it.

I tend to keep the pricing up, but as demand wanes, I tend to add more stems to the boxes for the same price. That and I tend to get pretty good at growing the plants so they get really nice stuff. If you are simply trying to flip plants, well..........that's a tough business.

Growers will always have better stuff.

#13 ·
ahahaha I thought it was a joke, but I guess some will pay.

Till it drops down to a $1/stem, what other plants are readily avail that are similar to mini?

Alternantherna sp. variegated looks kinda similar and I really like it. I DO know someone up here who has it. Just itching to try it out.

#14 · (Edited)
I was just joking, being a schiester that I am.

It's like folks believing "The Onion" is really the world's finest news source.

I'll sell you all my plants here for 500$ ahaha. No, not really. Some moderator might think I'm selling in the wrong sub form and not realize this too is also a joke.

I got my plants for Free.

But I traded some plants they wanted bad.

#17 ·
I know, right :biggrin:

That stuff is $8.99 around here...I bought a pack of wendtii green maybe a year and a half ago and it was $6.99 back then, but next time I went back they'd jacked it up. They seem to leave them on the shelf longer too now; I usually see a lot of them in various stages of melting down in the pack.

My LFS has decent quality in their plants and fish, but not much depth in selection of either, which is usually how I end up at the big-box stores in the first place.

#28 ·
I was only going to sell it for around $10 a stem until I noticed that it was going for $50 a stem and someone bought them. I had never seen this sold in the US so I had no idea what the going rate was per stem. I just thought shoot if that is the going rate and it sold in less than a day I REALLY don't mind parting with some.

#29 ·
Well, frankly it's not some super cool plant, it's not much different than the normal type near as I can tell and I got it from the vendors that grow it in the EU.

It is not like Ludwigia "Red" or downoi, or Lud tornado or Needle leaf Java, windlov etc when they first came out.

#30 ·
I know this is an old thread but I just bought some Alternanthera Reineckii mini from Tropica through a European Dealer and I'm not sure how to plant it.

I received maybe 8 small plants about 1 1/4" tall with very small but healthy roots.

I have 2" of organic potting soil substrate with a couple of inches of Quartz Sand on top of that in the plant area, although I can cut down on the sand and build up the substrate closer to the surface if necessary

Thank you
MeCasa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.