The Planted Tank Forum banner

37G Column Viv for Avicularia

16K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  Asu1776 
#1 ·
37G Column Viv for Avicularia

This is a quick start on a journal thread for this viv setup that I have been working on for a little while now. I already have plants and most everything else in it.

My intention is to keep a single Avicularia sp. tarantula in here. Avicularia are South American/Caribbean arboreal spiders and among the most attractive of tarantulas. Here is a Wikipedia, Creative Commons picture of A. versicolor...

I was working on the setup some more tonight and got a quick picture here of the top rear panel with fan, knob handle, hygrometer and thermometer.

I am trying to source an adult or sub-adult spider to introduce to the tank. I haven't settled with any particular species, but that A. versicolor would be a nice one to use.

See less See more
#90 ·
This setup was just sitting messy-looking for a few months, but I decided to clean it up and rearrange things a couple of weeks ago. The spider is still in there, but she is hiding in one of the rear top corners. She likes the glass the best: it's too bad she doesn't like to climb on the manzanita much. I have some pretty cool plants in here.

#100 ·
I cleaned up this setup last night and got a couple of quick photos. I have changed the planting again and now it is almost all mini collector palms in there.

This is one of my favorite setups that I have ever made. It is so simple, but just perfect. I spend a couple of minutes every day looking in there. I like the spider a lot too. If you look you can see her pink toes over on the right.

#101 ·
Look! I have update photo from the other night. If you look real close you will see the spider.

I have changed the planting a little bit more. The plants in this setup are awesome. This terrarium is probably my favorite project that I have made. I spend a couple of minutes staring into it every day.

#107 ·
talking about molting spiders, it reminded me of this vid lol

http://vimeo.com/89495751
Eek!

What kind of palms are in there?
Those are special plants. I spent a lot of time researching them and looking for them. They are true miniature palms that stay small and grow slow. Here are the ones that I have in there.

• Pinanga disticha
  • Licuala dasyanthe
  • Licuala triphylla
  • Licuala malejana
  • Dypsis minuta
  • Dypsis poivreana
This is really cool, love the wood where did you get it. I really dont like spiders, but its cool. Nice work.
Thanks so much. This spider is really sweet and mellow. I built the wood feature with manzanita branches attached to a plast plate with stainless steel screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.