The Planted Tank Forum banner

New tank for Chocolate Shrimp

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob in Puyallup 
#1 ·
I know our forum has been here a hundred times before, but I'd like to get the most current information...

What is the best type of substrate for a cherry shrimp tank, the Chocolate version in particular?

I have UP Shrimp Sand, but thinking that's best to reserve for crystals.

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
Asked a similar question a week or two ago...

Same as RCS, any thing inert would work just fine for cherry types (including chocolates)...

Some still claim that they will get darker against a dark substrate. However, given that it would difficult to see them (IMO), I went with PFS for a better contrast. So far, they look good. :D

#3 ·
As I suspected, then. I've been keeping them with a mixture of every shrimp in my Fluval Ebi which has FSS as the substrate, keeping the pH quite low.

Thinking it's time to separate these from the rest.

Thanks!

#5 ·
She's absolutely gorgeous! Gonna get every one of them and put em in their own tank.

#6 ·
Oh, I've ordered some Safe T Sorb to use as substrate in this tank.

#7 ·
Lordy, that was quick. The Safe T Sorb arrived this morning. Didn't know it, but the vendor is local, less than 20 miles away!

#10 ·
Lol! I ain't no writer and I tend to a bit of a dork, but may journal it.

I did pick up a ten gallon tank tonight, will see if I can squeeze in the time to set it up tomorrow.

Once it's up and running I have to try to catch all (about 10, give or take) of the black chocolates.

MABJ: To answer your question... Nope, some are dark red, some arrived a nice blue color but changed to black when they settled in my tanks. A pH thing, perhaps.

These guys are currently in two tanks, some in the Ebi, the others in the hex, pH is low, were set up originally for crystals.

I purchased them as two groups from Cookymonster760 several months ago.

#12 ·
Uh I went with FSS cause it was cheap and I have amazon prime, I got all the dark chocolates berried already. I'm thinking about mixing fluval plant in.

Like other neos besides yellows, these guys are tough as nails and can breed in anything.

I got my stock from Cooky too a while back

#16 ·
I've yet to see a brown chocolate shrimp. I assume that's where they got their common name.

#18 ·
Cookymonster760's ad did say mixed grade. I was impressed with all of them, the colors solid. Beautiful shrimp!

#19 ·
Just got Speedie's page to open. As usual, beautiful pics of beautiful shrimp!

#21 ·
Those of you that want chocolate neos, just get some different colors and mix them. In time, you'll get chocolates. I have some that are so dark you can't see them on the black substrate. I have that have orange eyes too. One of these days I may separate them out but who knows. I've been way too lazy with my shrimp. I tore down my yellow tank and mixed those with my "wild" tank and spent a few hours cleaning up and redoing my PFR tank trying to get it going again...my interest just goes in cycles it seems.

Terrible pic, but you can see her eyes. And no, that's no from the camera...they really are that orange.

#22 ·
It seems it's the PFS that makes them chocolates, isn't it? I mean, it's from the PFS gene that gives the chocolates the very solid coloration.

Or something like that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.