The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wood container ponds?

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  zoo minsi 
#1 ·
Has anyone here built a raised wood framed container pond? I found a DIY for a small one only, but i'd like something bigger. I'm not sure how scalable this is due to the water pressure.

I'd like to make one about 18" x 30" and 20-24" deep. I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I can build a box and put a liner in it. Just wondering how it would hold up.

#4 ·
Wow. I want it! Very zen.

DIY instructions: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/water-gardens/pond-in-a-box/ It's double boxed and secured with bandings. If you go larger just secure more. Most of the water pressure will be pushing out from near the top rim. How large are you going?

You have to sign up for a stupid newsletter to acccess it tho. Oh the fish should get there today, all the other packages I sent out are out for delivery, yours hasn't updated for some reason :/

#10 ·
On any water holding rectangle or square the pressure with be strongest 1/3 and in the middle of the walls. Something I learned reseaching my rimless DIY build last year. i would build my box from 2x4"s building in support @ 1/3 from the bottom and 2/3 up. Then line the inside with 3/4" plywood using wood glue on edges and all wood to wood contact areas. Then skin the outside with 3/4" plywood. Screw the box together.

You could line it with a pond liner or saving an old swimming pool liner on trash day. There's also rubber tank, research Plywood tanks for brand names. Thatr is basically what your building Minus the window.

Material estimates $125 to $150 for the build without a liner. Two sheets of 3/4" your at $90 already plywood.

Maybe consider a Stock tank from a farm supply most are at least 100gl. Then just burry it or build around it with landscape timber of stone blocks.

OR just do this:

#11 ·
A rubbermaid container or stock tank seems simplest. Don't need to worry about the water pressure that way. I'm thinking I could build a frame around the tank and add an overlapping lip around the top edge to hide the sides of the tank.
I have some hardwood flooring left over from an interior project. I could skin the frame with this.
If I make it without a bottom, I could just drop it over whatever I use for a tank. Starting to sound very doable.

I appreciate the input everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.