The Planted Tank Forum banner

What should I change to my aquascape?

4K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  I3raven 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I switched out my old petsmart pebbles with Eco Complete black substrate. I also redid my scape. Is there anything you would adjust, change, or remove? Thanks!

#11 ·
There are some nice fine sands that are dark if you want to retain the dark substrate look. I like the contrast between the dark and the plant and fish colors. I've also found in my personal opinion and experience the fish tend to have more vivid, relaxed colors when the substrate is darker than just white. Light substrates seem to really glare under higher intensity lighting also. Looking good though. Can't wait to see the progress.

#18 ·
I think it looks perfect. Once you get plants you can use them to fill in any empty spaces. Besides the more hardscape you have the less options you have for plants, unless you attach the plants to the wood and rocks, and then when they grow in it covers them. I'm a noob myself so this is just my opinion. Good luck and can't wait to see your progress.

#22 · (Edited)
2ND UPDATE: New Aquascape

I primarily focused on changing the rock structure on the right side, I think everything looks perfect now. Time to order and buy Blyxa Japonica and HC, but does anyone have a background plant that could go well this aquascape? Thanks for all the responses.

#25 ·
The pic in #23 is perfect. Don't put anymore rock in there. Plant it up.

I think I would only use staurogyne repens. I'd keep it low in the front and right side allow it a bit more height in the left rear to give a back drop to the driftwood.

It's a simple yet strong hardscape. I would not complicate it with a lot of different sp. of plants.

#29 ·
Your last scape is perfect. As I read through the thread I thought, Ehhh, Nice piece of wood but the rocks need work. Then, OK good more rocks, looks nice but the front right rock is a bit overpowering and could be buried a bit. Third scape, BOOM! perfect exactly as I pictured it. You could use some low lying rocks on the right side to tie it all together, but depending on your selection of plants it could make all the difference. We are looking at it with no flora, and we don't really know what plants you intend to keep, so it's hard to comment other than saying the right looks a bit bare. Awesome work so far.

#34 ·
Again, definitely choose the last one.

I think you should try to carpet the HC everywhere, grow moss on the DW/rocks and see how that works for you before adding stem plants.

Ok maybe a crypt or two.

#40 ·
If you can, your best option would be to get another light and have 2 possibly with lower wattage bulbs, or raise the one you have a little more and hope its strong enough. I currently use 2 clip desklamps on my 10 gallon and even with 2 the middle of the tank is noticeably darker so I just put lower light plants in the middle and the higher light ones directly under the lights.

#41 ·
I'm inclined to think Joe's idea might work best.

Only thing is you may appreciate keeping them in the same spectrum of viewing for your own pleasure.

How deep is this tank exactly? I may have an idea that could be cheap.

#42 ·
you shouldn't worry about too much light bringing algae because once you have healthy growing plants they should out-compete the algae for the nutrients. You'll probably find that you might need more light for the 17 gallon. A little more anyway depending on the plants you decide on. I think most of the carpeting plants like the higher light.

#48 ·
I think you're going to be disappointed once you get it planted up and realize you're only getting about an 18" radius of coverage with just the single bulb. You can certainly start off with it but I would start saving to add a fixture and get a couple bulbs to match that wattage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.