The Planted Tank Forum banner

Questions on anubias and ferns on wood

660 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Navyblue 
#1 ·
Please pardon my very rudimentary question, I am new to plants.

In LFS here, anubias and various ferns are sold tied to drift woods with fishing lines. They are placed in a plastic bag tied at the top (but not air tight), with minimal water at the bottom, presumably just to keep the humidity up.

If it matters, we are in the tropic where temperature and humidity is typically high.

Questions:

1. If I buy those plants and submerge them, would they shed leaves initially?

2. If I submerge the wood/roots/rhizomes in water but leave the leaves sticking out of the water, would the leaves dry up and drop?

3. Which of the above would have more severe die off?

My plan is to do number 2 in the short term, and slowly fill up the tank once the tank becomes conducive for fishes. Any advice would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
You need to know if the plants were grown submersed or emersed.
That's the thing, I have no way of knowing it, and I wouldn't trust the LFS to tell me.

I googled images of java fern emersed and submerged, they all look the same to me. Can you tell me what the differences are?

For anubias nana, it seems that the emerged form has narrower leaves? I imagine the broader submerged leaves would dry and curl when exposed? Would the narrower emerged leaves survive submerged?

#4 ·
It really doesn't matter all that much if they were grown emersed or not as the plants are likely to lose their foliage regardless as they get used to the parameters of your tank. If it has a healthy root system it will survive and thrive after the initial 4-6 week adjustment period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.