The Planted Tank Forum banner

29 gallon Anubias/Java fern Tank

25K views 95 replies 38 participants last post by  NYCaqua 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello i been a long term hobbyist keeping tanks for over 10 years. I have been working on this low tech Anubias/Java fern tank for about the last 4 months or so. Its still a work in progress as i have not gathered all the anubias petite i would like for the foreground. I need approximately 25-30 more to fill the foreground in a compact manner. If anyone knows of good places to get some anubias petites please do share.

Here are a couple of views of the tank.

Additional Tank details:

Filtration- Eheim classic 2215-37 + Aquaclear 30

Lighting- Current USA satellite LED plus and Current USA single ramp time (Sunrise begins at 11:30am and sunset begins at 10:30pm)

Feeding- Elos sv.B pellet, Elos Spirulina plus pellet, Omega One Super color flakes, Hikari Mini Algae Wafers, Hikari Frozen brine shrimp, Hikari frozen spirulina Brine shrimp, Hikari Frozen bloodworms (twice a week flakes and pellets are supplemented with vita-chem for more vitamins prior to the weeks water change).

Fertilization- Flourish excel, Flourish iron, Flourish trace, Flourish Comprehensive supplements, Microbe-lift bloom and grow.

Water changes- 30% on Tuesday and 50% on Fridays along with Seachem Prime.

See less See more
#71 ·
The cory cats, cherry barbs, and neon blue gouramie are the ones who tend to hide within the plants mostly. Its funny you mention this because about 30 minutes before lights start shutting down, the gouramie always hides in the center bunch of anubias. As for number of fish, i currently have 58. Most of the stocking is made of up several schools of small fish. The largest fish in there is the dwarf gouramie at 2.5 inches. I do water changes twice a week and try to scrape glass for algae every other day.

#73 ·
I will make sure to check out his collection. As far as rare anubias, I have had many different varieties throughout the years in larger tanks. I ultimately sold them all and when started off from scratch decided to get common ones. The "rare" one I have are petite, if people even consider that one anymore. I will be on the lookout to acquire different ones in the future.

#74 ·
Yeah, I think you're right. The petite, well to me, is pretty common now. But I believe there a now variations and morphs of the petite. If I do come across some leads, I'll be happy to share it with you.

You're tank is very pleasing to the eye. I'm subscribed, so I'll keep in tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#76 · (Edited)
First tip I can give when planting a 29 gallon, is to get the best light fixture you can for the kind of plants you want to keep. Next is dose on a strict schedule all your supplements. So you can maximize growth. They have apps on smartphones for aquariums so that keeping track is easy. As for my stocking, I use a lot of biological filtration and do water changes twice a week. The eheim canister and modified aquaclear insure all my water values are the best they can be. I test prior to every water change as well. I have had to take out some fish because they were being too competitive for food and it was becoming difficult to feed all the fishes. So my stocking does change on occasion if I run into such issues. Majority of fishes in the tank are small. The plant density also aid in filtering the water.

#77 ·
Beautiful tank!!!

You mentioned that your lighting fixture is the Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture. Is it the 24"-36" size?

I have a 30" Finnex Fugeray on my 29g tank and always seem to be fighting bba and green spot algae.

It seems that your lighting has provided your tank with the perfect amount of light without need for pressurized co2.

Your doing a great job!!! Keep up the good work.

Also, what color setting are you using? Is it one of the preset colors?

#80 ·
amazing. I love what can be done w/ undemanding plants like these. I know a lot of folks may put down low light, common "beginner", plants like java fern, but it really is attractive here.

I'm planning a riparium and wanted to go with something easier to maintain submerged and thick I'll be borrowing from you and sticking to java fern and anubias.

just fantastic

#88 ·
Someday I'm going to do a tank like this but on a 7g cube scale! Hoping this fall once its cooled down for shipping.
Btw you should show off how long those anubias roots are, that you can plant them without weights

#94 ·
Trying to keep tank as low maintenance as possible at the moment. Maybe later when i have more time for maintenance i will take some java ferns out and add more anubias once more.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.