The Planted Tank Forum banner

Terrarium With Emersed Aquatic Plants

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Knotyoureality 
#1 · (Edited)
After browsing many pictures of Wabi Kusas and other people's emmersed set ups of many aquatic plants I have decided to start my own emersed project. My goal was to create a nice natural looking scape - A little corner of a jungle in my room.

More Details:

Substrate: Regular potting soil spread out on top of an inch thick layer of gravel. Soil depth varies from several inches towards the back to much shallower in the front.

Lighting: Tank sits under a window where it receives direct sunlight for an hour or two and then indirect light for the rest of the day. Will this be enough or should I supplement with artificial lighting?

Hardscape: Stones and wood gathered locally. Tried to use aquascaping techniques.

Humidity: Tank is covered with plastic to keep in humidity in. Not sure what the exact humidity is but it's pretty wet and none of the plants have dried out. There is much condensation on the glass. I would like to eventually replace the plastic wrap with a custom cut piece of plexiglass for a more aesthetically pleasing look.

Flora:

Hygrophilia Corymbosa Stricta

Anubias Sp.

Taxiphyllum barbieri (Java Moss)

Not shown are tiny cuttings of Ludwigia Repens and Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite).

The Ludwigia, Water Sprite, and Java moss were all clippings from my riparium. I wasnt sure if the moss would be okay in this type of set up so I only used half of my java moss clippings so as to not risk losing it all. If it seems to be doing well I will add the rest in at some point in the future. I hope it will carpet.
The Anubias and Hygro were bought at the pet store growing in those plastic tubes. Since these plants were already in their emersed form I figured they shouldn't struggle too much to adapt to the terrarium.
----------------------------

UPDATE: 10/26/14

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice start! Early morning sunlight works well if that is what you mean. Having a light above the tanks helps keep the plants growing upward instead of leaning toward the light. I keep a terrarium in a north east facing window and find it helps to turn it around periodically.
Java moss does well as long as it doesn’t get too dry. I find the ends of the moss turn white if it gets to dry. Hydrocotyle tripartite looks great in these set ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.