The Planted Tank Forum banner

Got a terrarium as a gift

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CannaBrain 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I was given a terrarium as a gift. I want to keep it alive, but I have no idea how to take care of it. I've been misting it once a week and keeping it closed, as per the instructions on the tag, but it smells kind of funky inside and the leaves on one of the plants look wet and droopy. I took some pictures - can anyone tell me what's in it and how often to water it/air it out? Do I need to change the soil?

Edit: I did some research and found out that the red veined plant is a fittonia and the spindly green clumps are moss. I'm still not sure what the other ones are.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You're right about the fittonia. The taller one w/ the long leaves w/ variegated edges is aralia sp. "galaxy." The one on the bottom left in the last photo is creeping fig (ficus pumila). Fittonia and creeping fig are more low/medium light plants, whereas your aralia is going to want some direct sunshine. It will also grow to be much taller and larger than your other plants in there.

Depending on the light it gets, the aralia may end up needing to come out down the road sooner than the others. Keep them somewhere bright. The aralia likes it much brighter (hrs of direct sunlight) than the other 2 so... yeah another reason to remove it.

As far as watering goes, you'll see that you have a very thin layer of rocks to serve as drainage at the bottom of the jar. When the top layer of the soil is dry (will probably take a while depending on the light it gets), add just enough water to moisten the soil without having it fill up your drainage area. If that area gets too full, keep the top open for a day or two. Actually none of those plants are crazy humidity hogs and you'd be safe to leave the top open all the time. Up to you. Closed, you will go thru much less water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.