The Planted Tank Forum banner

Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout

385K views 1K replies 153 participants last post by  skarpy 
#1 · (Edited)
This Journal is dedicated to Khoa Pham. The first person I ever taught Nature Aquarium to - and the first real customer I ever had. May the teachings in this Journal bring the same joy to others as it did to him.

Cryptkeeper54 converted the first half of the thread into an eBook available for download here, the eBook contains the final photo of the Mini M layout which the first half of the thread covers - which has not yet been published anywhere else, so be sure to check out he gorgeous HD photograph!

Follow Me On:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/iaquascape
Facebook: http://facebook.com/fwazeter
Tumblr: http://wazeter.tumblr.com

Instagram: @fwazeter

Communicating with me outside Social Platforms:

Email: fxiv@me.com
TEL: 832-459-5172

Table of Contents:

Opening ACT 1 - New Layout Mayhem!

1. Introduction - Page 1

2. Getting Started - Step 1 - Page 2, Post 19

3. Setting the Substrate - Step 2 - Page 2, Post 25

4. Penac Pearling - Page 5, Post 64

5. Laying out a hardscape - Stone Arrangement: Step 3 - Page 5, Post 73

6. Basic Maintenance - Page 5, Post 74

7. Philosophy - Enjoying the Process - Page 6, Post 83

8. Planting and Planning for a Mixed Carpet: Step 4 - Page 7, Post 91

9. First Month Filter Setup & Day 5 maintenance: Step 5 - Page 8, Post 111

10. Aquarium Data - Equipment Used - Page 10, Post 143

11. How Co2 is distributed by water with a diffuser - Page 11, Post 160

12. Trimming Carpet Plants - Page 13, Post 191

13. End of Week 1 - Page 13, Post 195

14. Modifying the Layout - Removing an unnecessary element - Page 16, Post 231

15. Trimming Riccia - Page 18, Post 269

16. Size: Large vs. Small Aquaria, thoughts - Page 19, Post 280

17. A word on the International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest - Page 19, Post 284

18. End of Week 2 - Page 20, Post 286

19. Introduction to A New Way of Thinking: Why what you may have learned could be wrong - Page 21, Post 312

20. A New Way of Thinking: There is No Such Thing as Multiple Methods - Page 22, Post 325

21. A New Way of Thinking: Invalidating the Theory of "High Tech" - Page 22, Post 328

22. The NO B.S. Introduction to "The Method" - Page 23, Post 334

23. NO B.S. Method - The Most Important Post I've Ever Written - Page 23, Post 345

24. Removing Diatom Algae and Week 3 Tank Update - Page 24, Post 359

25. End of Week 3 - Week 1, 2, 3 Comparison Overview - Page 25, Post 371

26. The Method - Principle One: Malthusian Organisms - Page 25, Post 374

27. THE CHALLENGE! - Page 26, Post 382

28. ADA's 20th Anniversary (Takashi Amano Story) & Making a Small Layout Adjustment - Page 29, Post 431

29. The Method - Principle Two: The Law of Minimums - Page 31, Post 456

30. The Method - Principle Three: The Cyclical Nature of the Aquarium - Page 32, Post 471

31. Week 4/5 Celebration Video Coverage! The Beauty of Riccia Fluitans! - Page 33, Post 486

32. The final published shot of the aquarium before contest entry - Page 35, Post 514

BEGIN INTERMISSION! Fun Stuff in Between Works!

33. Trimming Riccia Video - Page 36, Post 538

34. Removing BBA manually - Page 39, Post 571

35. Aquatic Poetry?! And 720p video of the Layout - Page 39, Post 579

36. Frank Wazeter on Blog Talk Radio! Aquascaping Discussion. - Page 40, Post 588

ACT TWO: Enter LED Lighting Technology and a brand new layout!

37. The Arrival of Nature Aquarium's First Ever LED light: AQUASKY!Page 45, Post 664

38. AQUASKY's Premiere - Solar Mini M retired, AQUASKY on a fresh canvas - Page 45, Post 670

39. The Tear Down of "San Marcos River Summer," and the Creation of the New Layout - Page 46, Post 683

40. Maintenance Regime on the Mini M! - Page 47, Post 692

41. Grow out of the Mini M - Days 1-7 Comparisons between Old and New - Page 47, Post 704

42. The 60-P Developing with it's semi-permanent Cameo Appearance! - Page 47, Post 705

43. What has beautiful inlay designs and optimal functionality? ADA Anniversary Premium Goods! - Page 48, Post 712

44. Getting rid of that bothersome algae on the glass - the easy way. - Page 48, Post 715

45. Pencilfish Hunting in Riccia & the 60-P props back up again! - Page 49, Post 726

46. Autumnal Hues with the Beautiful Rotala Colorata - Page 49, Post 733

47. Sad News - The passing of my first student. Rest in Peace my friend. - Page 50, Post 736

48. When stem plants become brilliant and add dynamism to the layout -60-P - Page 50, Post 746

49. Time Elapse and Algae Killing in three days in the 60-P - Page 51, Post 751

50. Taking down Khoa Pham's aquarium & Mini M update - Page 51, Post 753

51. It's all in the Details - adjustments on the Mini M with Unzan Stone - Page 52, Post 767

52. Coming up next - the beautiful Microrasbora Kubotai! - Page 52, Post 776

53. Microrasbora Kubotai, subtle coloration adds an incredible dynamic to the layout. - Page 53, Post 782

54. Nano Fish Acclimation Guide! How to get 100% survival rates with ease! - Page 53, Post 789

55. Bringing the Layout to life with Fish - going from "cool" to "lost in the aquarium." - Page 54, Post 797

56. Mystic Photograph of the Kubotai + eBook Remastering of Act 1 - Page 55, Post 819

57. Ranking #127 in the IAPLC (international aquatic plant layout contest) and personal critique by Mr. Amano - an epic end to a great layout. - Page 58, Post 865

ACT I Finale Shot - #127 IAPLC 2012

ACT II Finale

"How do I create a beautiful mixed carpet in my planted tank?"

If you've ever wondered how to create a mixed carpet for your planted aquarium or amazed at how Amano does it, through the course of this thread you will learn how to grow just that.

Sometimes, the task can seem impossible or overwhelming. So before I really begin to share these secrets, allow me to bring you along my history and development with planted tanks. You will see how you can create a fantastic layout, even if you are starting from humble origins.

Sit back, relax and read every word carefully, because it all starts with a vision:

My Background History:

At this point, I've thoroughly mastered growing single carpets as can be illustrated here:

Of course, this would also include your foreground and background stuff (for example, HC and hair grass), as you can see a relatively old example here:

That one kind of brings me back. Dollface might hate that photograph.

An older (yet more recent example) of an aquarium I never quite did take a finished photograph of:

That one taught me quite a few lessons about riccia: you see those bald stones? that was from a few pieces of riccia that were "spoiled" when they arrived, Lesson: always use the greenest and freshest riccia!

Something Important to Know: I will always recommend that you master growing one species of plant at a time, for example: an iwagumi that's all hair grass or hc, or microsword etc.

Why? because this will give you the greatest skill in manipulating, shaping the plants growth, while knowing at what speed it grows and what it's nutrient requirements are. Think of it like breaking down a math problem into easy, simple to digest and understand components in order to solve a very complex problem (in this case, the mixed carpet).

Along the way there have also been some mishaps and failures:

How about this blast from the past (2008? 2009? I think):

This was my first ever attempt at a mixed carpet. It went surprisingly well, but I never did try to that extent again. See a close up from Glosso and HC growing together:

Oh, and of course, there was the first iwagumi:

I didn't even remember that somehow I had managed to get Riccia to intertwine with HC in that layout (e.g. it was a Random A$$ Accident) :

Oh boy! Look at that algae! Honestly I think that accidental mixing has been my best attempt yet...3-4 years ago...

And finally, there was my very, very first planted tank:

Man, how embarrassing is that?

There have been some other successes and failures over the course, but honestly? The failures teach you the most. The successes just give you some extra confidence.

Which brings me to some other examples:

I probably should have spent some time polishing that one up a bit. Now that I look back on it, the sparser growth actually creates a nice effect for what I was trying to achieve.

This was the very first layout I had worked on at Aquarium Design Group: and also the first time I had done -anything- with driftwood. I wish I had taken a full shot of this tank then.

With that said, what's the next objective? Mastering the Mixed Carpet.

Before I delve more into How-To and the fun of keeping the journal going, let me preface:

There will be mistakes. There will be frustration. And my intent is to teach you how to master these principles so that you can learn quicker than me. This is why I've had a lot of fun going over some of my past layouts, success, failures, embarrassments and all.

So, without further ado, here is the newest layout I've set up at home:

I promise not to bore you with equipment details: I'll only share them when necessary and when it's valuable and worth your time to know.

Before we go on further, I have a homework assignment for you:

Important Exercise:Visualize your ultimate layout you want for your aquarium. Now, picture yourself successfully planting each individual plant, and then watch the plants grow. Imagine problems coming up and solving the problem. Watch as the aquascape evolves from freshly planted to completed, and imagine how you feel when you've accomplished the task.

Now sit back, subscribe and continue to watch for updates to take the next step, and the next exercise. Make sure you catch me on my next major update where I'll teach you the fundamentals behind setting the substrate, and if you're lucky, the arrangement of the stones!

P.S. if you've found these techniques valuable, help share the information with new comers by linking back here in your own journals when you use my techniques!

Member Highlights! Check out these people and their awesome work:

Here are some of my students who are also members of TPT (message me if you aren't listed and should be, or if you are listed and feel you shouldn't or don't want to be!) :

These people all share a passion for planted aquariums and have had great success moving forward! Cheer them on as they work their way towards being masters of the planted tank universe.

Khoa N. Pham -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122232

fplata -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181063

freph -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181281

mluk27 -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174106&highlight=mluk27

Dave Allen -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184547

Dollface -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170180

pejerrey -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169143

ozydego -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=181009

dantra - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161640

frrok -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160093

flyinghellfish -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=49336

orchidman -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188790

Brian MC - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=51675

2wheelsx2 -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=6864

Jeff5614 -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107781

Lludu - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=52328

Zeldar -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186330

See less See more
#380 ·
Happy Easter Frank! I have a question for you. I have a 38gal deep tank (24"Dx31"L) which has been gathering dust for many years, I'm considering possibly planting it. However, since i have all that vertical space I'm wondering if you have seen anything using some sort of levels or natural shelves where more can be planted? I'm thinking some kind of fabricated natural stone looking shelf, or a great flat piece of stone cut to fit a corner, and placed about middle of the water column, or staggered. and then laying down substrate on it and planting it. Any experience with this? I would really like to see some pictures or DIY info if you know of any.
Here is a crude attempt to explain my idea, LOL
|===_===|
| _|
|_ |
|_______ |

#382 ·
I was meditating earlier today. How do I further explain the benefits of "The Method," so you can see first hand what to do? The Method may seem complex, but is ultimately, very easy to understand.

Many of you are already doing it to some extent, but not the full potential.

I then thought to myself, "well, the most valuable learning tools have always been step-by-step journals." You can follow along through the troubles and tribulations, and see how things are responded to.

With this, I had an idea: What if I made a challenge?

And with the idea of a challenge in mind, I've got the perfect learning tool. One which even I can't predict the outcome yet and here's why:

I'm going to let you CHALLENGE me on a "low-tech," tank to prove the merits of The Method

Here's the skinny:

I'm going to let TPT determine my next Nano Layout. The 'budget,' will be restricted and using The Method, the objective is to make a stunning layout.

So here's the parameters:

You decide what the plants will be.
You decide what the limitations on equipment will be.
You decide how much I can spend within reasoning.

The only thing I'll start with is a nano Rimless aquarium (since this has nothing to do with how the 'scape' turns out and the plants grow) and $50 maximum budget allowed to use at my discretion.

With a popular consensus, I'll tackle the challenge, use the principles and techniques of The Method and we'll see firsthand together the results.

The direct objective is to create a "low-tech," tank which is set by current standards and show the effectiveness of The Method.

#427 ·
So here's the parameters:
You decide what the plants will be.
You decide what the limitations on equipment will be.
You decide how much I can spend within reasoning.

The only thing I'll start with is a nano Rimless aquarium (since this has nothing to do with how the 'scape' turns out and the plants grow) and $50 maximum budget allowed to use at my discretion.
The direct objective is to create a "low-tech," tank which is set by current standards and show the effectiveness of The Method.

Plants: Java Ferns, Mosses, Anubias, Crypts

Equipment: HoB Filters (or one of the following Canisters: 2211/13, Zoomed, Toms Rapid), Lighting Fixture under $80, No Pressurized Co2 - Only Flourish/Excel (Liquid Co2), No other additives (unless it is part of your discretionary funds). Eco-Complete, Akadama, AquaSoil, or Fluval Stratums

Pricing: Maximum of $300

I think that will make a very nice low tech tank... thats how I run my tanks and I love them... lets see what you can do with that...

#384 ·
I want to see you do a manzanita driftwood lay out with petit, bolbitis or java fern, moss, a bunch of "beginner" stems that are readily available in the S&S at any given time, and a three plant mixed foreground with hair grass, glosso, and riccia.

You can only use AS + bacter 100 and clear super for the substrate
Brighty K + step 1 through 3 for ferts plus one liquid additive.
DIY co2 only.
Lighting is up to you, as long as there's an equivalent alternative fixture available for under 100$. Hard mode: you use a desk lamp.
For kicks, I'm going to say you should use an aquaclear HOB filter, but you could cheat and just say that for the price of that + your 50$ you saved up for a 2211 instead :icon_roll
you only get to use one pair of scissors, and one pair of tweezers

Your total budget has to come out under 200-300$ if you were to buy everything new, hardscape and plants included, tank not included, with an itemized list of your costs.

#385 ·
If this is going to be a low tech budget tank then I think you could trim it down a bit more and be more stereotypical (that's the goal here, right?). For example, one of the popular low budget methods is to use organic potting soil and a sand cap. The desk lamp is perfect. HOB filter is even better.

#393 ·
I just wanted to chime and say so far this has been a really awesome read. Regardless of whether you agree with every word or not, these types of journals with wisdom (and eyecandy) I feel really add to our community.

I'm cheap. Back in high school, I mixed neon blue gravel with eco-complete. It was a disaster and I sincerely hope the pictures have been burnt. After 6+ years in the hobby, I haven't had a tank without an algae meltdown of some sort. The difference is when I first started, I just figured that "algae happens", and now I know exactly the reason why and I can assign blame to myself. :icon_wink

As I've gained aquarium experience, I've started to do things more on feel than based on rigorous calculation and research. I've had far less algae when I switched to aquasoil from flourite, so I'm more apt to try the complete ADA substrate system in the future. I don't want to start a debate, but it's important to remember our hobby is very much an intersection of science and art. It's okay to want scientific evidence for something or debate on a scientific level, but it's also okay to do something that works for you even if there isn't quantifiable scientific evidence to back up your claim.

I've become a bit more "zen" as time has gone on too (sorry if I completely misused "zen"...). I'm less inclined to start a plant farm tank, and more inclined to create a well-executed aquascape. I'm a bit of an iwagumi fan, and while only getting to try a few different plants takes some adjustment, there's a certain peacefulness in keeping things simple. Granted all of my aquascapes are rather lackluster, I still enjoy it. If/when I graduate and get a "real" job, I could very well go on a drunken aquarium spending bender...

#395 ·
Back to the Mini-M for a bit:

Day 23:

Right Side

More Right Side

There isn't a whole much more to talk about this tank. 3 weeks and I'm more or less done with the hard work part.

I may switch out the "true," willow moss on the right with a different variety - originally was looking for what Amano calls "willow moss," which tends to actually be what we call Christmas or Peacock Moss. Now that I have some, The switch will be made.

There's a bit of a brown and green algae out break and the diffuser needs a cleaning tonight (overdue a bit).

I'm not worried about the Brown and Green Algae, the Amano's and the ocat i'll add will take care of it - these are the types of algae's you -hope- for.

The layout isn't done yet, but we'll switch the segment more and more over to trimming and cultivation as it grows in.

Fish will be soon. Maybe even today depending on a few inbound fish shipments.

#397 ·
im curious, has anyone ever use aquasoil to cap MTS?
i was thinking about my next tank (still a year away, but IMO planning it is half the fun), and remember reading somewhere that MTS provides nutrients longer than AS, which means the substrate would last longer on root tabs (after it begins to decline in nutrient value) before finally biting the dust.
also, the MTS, if used right after finishing the mineralization, would provide an additional inoculation of bacteria, as it should be teaming with them.
any thoughts frank?

btw i keep staring at that HC in awe.

#399 ·
Is the CO2 critical?

In an earlier post Frank said it was.

I'm never going to use CO2 as I just don't want to get into the chemistry/mechanics of DIY or the expense (& mechanics) of a "real" system.

For many people it's a simple "thing" & no big deal to set up. It would be for me.

Other than than the CO2, I second Dollface's suggestions.

Very cool idea Frank:biggrin:

#400 ·
Is the CO2 critical?

In an earlier post Frank said it was.
Yes if you read this thread you will see frank talks about everything in the tank working together using his methods. CO2 is a piece of that. I will say as someone that has done tanks both ways, you will never have a consistently good tank without it.

CO2 is not difficult or expensive. DIY is not hard, no real need to be a chemist, and pressurized isnt that expensive. The amount of additional plant growth you will have will 1. save you money by not continuously killing and buying plants. 2. Probably make you enough money to pay for the time or money you invest in it, by selling your excess growth in the SnS.
It is not difficult to setup a pressurized system for less than 100 dollars. If your tank is smaller start with DIY and save your money for pressurized.

#401 ·
So, here's a good exercise for this challenge:

How do we define "Low-Tech"

Is it a reference to light?
To budget?
To equipment?
To plants?

What can we agree on as a something that is "low-tech," and what options are there?

Does Low-Tech mean no co2? does it mean co2, but cheap co2? does it mean dirt, does it mean inert soil?

As you follow this line of questions, it will become apparent the point moving forward.

Here's another gem of an idea! Why not participate with me in the challenge so you can learn more, have a great tank and see first hand your own results!

#411 ·
"The home aquarium is an ecosystem always on the verge of collapse."

This fits in with your description of all living aspects of the planted tank being Malthusian.

That is what I have in mind when I'm building my tanks/nanos/bowls.

The difference between a low tech tank and a high tech tank has nothing to do with budget. It is what you use as the limiting factor for those Malthusian components in your tank.

With "High Tech" tanks the goal is to provide more than enough light and nutrients to grow your scape. The limiting factor is CO2. You are spot on with your many points that cost should not be your limiting factor if you wish to go for a tank like this.

With "Low Tech" tanks the goal is to use lighting as the limiting factor. You can absolutely use Aquasoil for a tank like this, you can also use top of the line equipment and have CO2 and still be a "low tech" tank.

I think Tom made a key observation about the type of people attracted to each method.

Back to my earlier quote. A high tech tank consumes quickly, grows quickly, and can go wrong and be fixed quickly. A Low tech tank, consumes slowly, grows slowly, and goes wrong slowly and gets fixed slowly.

The biggest problem people following the "high tech" method run into is not paying due diligence to balance and maintenance. Your insight into this has been amazing.

The biggest problem people run into with "Low Tech" is too much light and cutting corners with fertilizers, water changes and refusing to use CO2 when necessary to rescue a tank they've let be neglected too long. (cheapskates)

#406 ·
My vote is to use aquasoil in the low-tech(w/o the powders), or if your going for the readily available products approach, azoo plant grower or fluval stratum, any kind of nutrient rich pellet substrate. I think the idea of the journal should be, not to do what we've seen done here and fail several times over like Tom has said, with a very small percentage of success. But if you want to go non c02, low light and h.o.b, what are the key components that will make this setup WORK! Having a good substrate is IME the most vital component in a 'low-tech' and i think your journal should express that.

#409 ·
So is the challenge to do something hard or something easy?
Low-Tech is the easiest thing for me, but it is because I use safe plant choices.

Either way I'd say just use Aquasoil, no powders, additives, etc.

Dirt tanks aren't very fun in the long run, so I vote against that.

Easy Proposal:

Substrate: Just aquasoil
Light: Whatever you want
Co2: none
Plants: HM as a carpet + whatever plants someone else might think would be good. Or ferns + anubias - because that is as easy as it gets.
Hardscape: Whatever you want

Difficult Proposal: (This one is hard to even come up with because low-tech with aquasoil is always easy and its benefits are even more profound in the long run in low-tech tanks with bi-weekly or monthly water changes)

If you wan't something hard you could do Eco Complete or Flourite but I think demonstrating how easy it is to do a great tank with nothing more than Aquasoil is a great thing to demonstrate.

I'd vote against any ferns bolbitis blah blah.
It is easy and overdone.
I see many tanks with very dim light and loads of ferns and they are stable and quite boring, IMO.

#412 ·
I've got a dirty secret. I've got to admit it now.

In fact, you could call it:

An Ulterior Motive

You see, year after year I chronically see less and less and less Americans placing highly in the IAPLC. Yet, I continue to see relative growth in the hobby here.

Yes, the hobby expands far in Japan, China, SE Asia, Europe, etc. Regular conventions with large planted aquaria expo's.

See, I have a hidden intention to this thread.

My motive is to help encourage as many people as humanly possible to be badass aquascapers.

I want you to learn from my mistakes. From your mistakes, from other's mistakes.

I want an American to win the IAPLC.

It's my gut feeling that the person who will one day win this competition is right here, reading this thread.

That's why I say there's only The Method. The one method that works, in which all others are derivative.

So, take from this everything you can, follow along with your own aquarium and cast off the unnecessary clutter in your mind, and let's get off to the races.

Don't be disheartened by failure, every one of us will always have more failures than successes. They define our success.

#414 ·
Hello Frank, I finally found some time to post. As far as I'm concerned your "How To" should be a sticky. The information found here is invaluable to beginners, intermediate and advanced individuals alike. I'm sure there will be many who will never admit to incorporating something from your write up into their scape but we know different.

I have to admit that's one heck of challenge, you must be glutton for punishment :biggrin: by the way, I posted updated photos of Connors tank just so you can see what he is up to. He is having the time of his life with the aquarium. No algae and lush growth, just like you talked about.

Dan

#420 ·
You may not know what this is, but those of you who do know how awesome this is:

Picking this full setup up tomorrow

Kicking it old school baby.
Hi Frank,

Nice looking setup!

BTW, you are way too young to be "Kicking it old school" lol

#418 ·
^ What is that? Never seen an ADA product like that, is it lights and just the tank?

A few suggestions, there a whole lot of post and it gets time consuming trying to get up to speed, can you just leave the current status or a post marker so people can refer back to.

#426 ·
Just a small update for right now, as I'm enjoying the Mini M. Without sounding too cliche, it has a 'zen' relaxation for me at the end of a long day.

I added some Amano's which I ordered about 400 of that came straight from Japan. They're the ideal small size and are vigorously eating algae. I have about 300 extra after dispersing them into various tanks. If you need some Amano's I can let em go for $2.25 / ea or 10 for $20 + shipping. Send me a PM, since this isn't a sales thread.

The whole system was a gift from my great friend, Luis Navarro. He was downsizing his aquariums at home.

The old Green Glow / NA style 60-P is something I've wanted for a long time for it's sentimental value. While technology has moved on, this particular setup was the quintessential ADA system until the Solar I replaced the Green Glow, and was the foundation for what we have today.

#425 ·
Can't wait to see your tank marko.

I started my foray into planted tanks w/ a 6 gal eclipse for a betta.

Fluorite base & a few plants (crypts, sword, dwarf sag) & minimal ferts.

It's now my quarantine tank - soon to be just a place for a few plants. Which means it will probably become a betta tank again:icon_smil

#430 ·
A side note: all that hc and riccia was looser plant growth from dead or dying particles still in the substrate. Amano's act as a sort of trimming force for weaker plants too. I was far too lazy to remove those from the filter last night.

#431 ·
I'd like to share a special event with you all today:

It is the 20th anniversary of Aqua Design Amano's corporate history.

On this day, April 12, 1992, Aqua Design Amano was officially incorporated in Japan. Of course, Aqua Design Amano was originally founded in 1980 by Takashi Amano when he was only 26 years old! Until 1992 it was a privately held small firm, when, upon release of Nature Aquarium World, the company went incorporated and began it's global expansion.

Since that time, it's been a hell of a ride for the hobby - it's seen many things come and go. The advent of the internet has spread it farther than any other singular means before, and with it, the message of the planted aquarium.

I'd like to share with you the following story:

A story of Takashi Amano's childhood:

In the post-war days in Japan there were no refrigerators, so people who lived in the interior couldn't eat fresh seafood. As children, we often caught carp for our families, especially in my home town where we had large expanses of wetlands.

Our fishing method was a primitive one: we would scoop the water along the banks with a net that was tied to a bamboo pole! Of course, there was always the more dangerous approach, where we would dam up the ends of a big submerged pipe, empty out the water with buckets and then climb in to get fish, hishi, lotus and other plants. What we brought home to our families from these trips was an important source of protein back in those days.

The catch was always evenly divided, using a fair method of rock-paper-scissors. However, if we had the fortune of coming across a colorful tanago (bitterling) or goby, one of us would always enthusiastically give up our entire share of the catch for the privilege of bringing home this living beauty.

The lucky boy would lovingly carry the fish home in one of the rubber shoes we all wore in those days. The shoe would be filled with water for the fish, for the two kilometer (1.25 miles) walk home. The road was so stony that it would leave bloody blisters on the boy's feet.

The feet would make it, bloody as they were, but the fish, due to heat and lack of oxygen never made it home alive. I was scolded many times for coming home empty-handed this way.

There were many plants in the wetlands that resembled the two-temple and Hygrophila that I use today in my aqua scapes. The abundant plants (sasabanohiromo, mizuoobako (ottelia) Matsumo, and mizuwarabi) were a beautiful sight in the water.

When I finally broke some of these plants off and stuffed them into my shoes, the fish, amazingly, survived the trip home!

Many of my layouts come from childhood memories like this one.

In honor of the 20th anniversary, and due to people asking me, I have a limited quantity of open substrate additives (Bacter 100, Clear Super, Tourmaline BC, Penac P and W), which I can portion together in mixed bags for uses on 5-20 gallon tanks for $25 ($32 shipped) while my supply lasts. You can pm me for details if you'd like to try them.

#433 ·
I just added a table of contents of some of the most noteworthy articles here.

There are 28 unique, fully fledged articles on mastery of the planted aquarium.

I only selected the most useful posts to feature here in the table of contents - points of interest and particular areas of valuable information for future reference.

Can you believe it! 28 articles from one aquarium. That's more than most informational booklets, blogs and forum threads get over a life time and it's only been three weeks.

Truly, you can improve your aquascaping and planting skills immensely just by using this thread as an informational source.

Yes, the story was from the original Nature Aquarium World book - which I edited and rewrote to modernize the language.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.