The Planted Tank Forum banner

Equipment for David's 75g plant tank.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  GulfCoastAquarian 
#1 ·
After reviewing all your excellent posts, I think I've been able to buy the equipment I need to set my 75 up for plants. Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

I'm not moving until March 3 so I still can't get started yet but I'd like your opinion of what I've picked out.

Lighting: Aqualight with 2 65w 10,000K and 2 55w 8,800K Pink.

Filteration: Ehiem P II 2026 backed up by an Ehiem 2215.

Substrate: 140 lbs ECO Complete Planted Aquarium substrate by CaribSea.

CO2: Ultimate CO2 System from Florida Driftwood.

Is this all I'm going to need or have I missed something. How about the liguid doser I've seen mentioned?

Be warned I'm totally new at this and am going to be requesting alot of help.

Thanks you all in advance.

David

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can say is you must have cash to burn. I would spend about half the money you are looking at to set up the same tank. If you are new at this you really should start a little slower. The CO2 system you are looking at is mainly bells and whistles. I run two tanks on a CO2 system with no controller, no monitor, no solenoid. I have about $150 max in my system for two tanks. You still need a tank for the system you are looking at. I'm not familiar with the lighting you are looking at but I do wonder about the choice of bulbs. I do admit I have not seen that combo in use but I wonder how good the reflectors are and how well they will mix the light. It's going to look pretty weird if you have 1/3 the tank pink, 1/3 mixed and 1/3 bright white. I run Rena PX series filters and love them. They are not as sexy as the Eheim filters but they do a great job at a much better cost. Until you get a handle on your equipment you should forget about the liquid doser. That's a pretty exotic piece of equipment for a planted tank.

As someone who is totally new to planted tanks you are jumping in with both feet. A CO2 injected tank with 3.2 watts per gallon is no mean feat. It's like you just got your drivers license and played a couple of video games so you are going to jump right into a F1 car and expect to do 200 mph around the track. For most people that is going to end in disaster. Many people who set up high light/high Tech tanks as their first attempt end up very frustrated. IMHO I think you would be much better off with starting with around 2 watts per gallon and a simple pressurized CO2 system till you get your feet wet, pardon the pun.

You should think about getting your fertilizers when you get everything else. If you use the silent cycle method of setting up your tank you are going to need to feed your plants in a around a week.

#3 ·
:eek:

Talk about " Everybody into the pool " !! :hehe:

Thats quite a science project you got going there David.
All I can say is proceed with caution , plant heavily and cross your fingers ... you have now entered the twilight zone. If you take your time and plan out this setup carefully you should do well , you have all the trimmings to make this a fine tank but it may frustrate you for 6-8 months till you get a grasp of CO2 injection, Fertilizing , and a general balance of these at once.

I have a feeling we will be chatting frequently about the " issues " that may arise with this being your first planted tank. If done incorrectly you are looking at an Algae Nightmare... if done properly it will be a beautiful tank.
You are on the right track ... but thats a fast track to start.

See ya soon Im sure... :cool:

#4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Buck is certainly correct when he expects to hear many cries for help.

Some clarification. Although I'm completely new to the high tech planted aquarium world I have been maintaining fish since 1969. Over the years I've tried alot and learned alot. I've been using plants in my aquariiums for about 15 very frustrating years. I've never had the time or money to take the plunge. Things have changed. I'm now retired and disabled. Lots of time and I'm going to spend the money. I plan to learn about and enjoy plants rather than fight my equipment.

Anyway, the frustration increases. I have received all my stuff. Including, the substrate heater I forgot to put on my list.
It is a very intimidatiing pile. It's scary but I can't wait to get started.

Buck I'd like to post a running commentary on this project. Where and how would you suggest I do that? Or would anyone be interested? I don't want to clutter the sight.

Thanks again for your input.

David

#5 ·
David, I for one would follow your running commentary every day. The best way I could think for you to start is to take digital pictures as you set the tank up and post a new thread in the "Photo Album" forum called David's 75 gallon Journal. Keep us posted on how the setup goes, how the plants acclimate, water parameters, etc.

If you don't have a digital camera, I'd highly recommend getting one. Even if it is a cheap webcam style camera - you'll love being able to document plant growth and overall progress.

#7 ·
I couldn't agree more. IMHO a "running commentary" is one of the most interesting types of post made. We all get to share in your project, and we will probably learn something too. :)

#8 ·
Take lots of pictures as its going together, and post them as you go. This could also be very useful for some of the new people to see how it goes together and some of us "veterans", I use that term loosely, can probably learn a lot too. We can coach you and you can get differing opinions as to what you can do to the tank.
I think it's a really smart move for you and for us here on the board. It'll be a community effort. Should be lots of fun. !!!:)

#9 ·
Thanks for your enthusiastic response to the running commentary idea. I'll start a journal in the gallery on day 1. I do have a digital camera and with a little help pictures should be no problem.

David

#10 ·
You will find a 75 gallon (if it is the 4 foot kind) will provide plenty of room for aquascaping! There aren't many journals out there of a tank from start to stabelized and finished... I would also love to follow your journal.
-Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.