The Planted Tank Forum banner

Building an Oasis

46K views 261 replies 71 participants last post by  izabella87 
#1 ·
So.... where should I begin..
I woke up this morning, and i remembered dreaming of an oasis..
Went to the store bought supplies to build it...
here are some in-the-process of buildin pics :)
Width: 29.1339" (74cm)
Height: 14.5669" (37cm)
Depth: 29.1339" (74cm)
Your tank's volume is approximately 12,364.2 cubic inches or 53.5 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 208.2 liters.

See less See more
#110 ·
Im telling you.. if u dream of something u wanna make.. just do it.. visualize it n do it.. ur only true helper is ur willpower
Exactly! Well done and excellent philosophy, Izabella! I still have no idea how you thought about doing this, but I'm glad you did! Beautiful fish!! Nice to see a hobbyist with some moxie to take a thought and just make it! Gotta be the artist in you! :D

#111 ·
Thank you Daz :) I think there's an artist in all of us.. just some prefer to play "normal" rather than let their ideas come to life.. You should make video of your tank !!!!
See ya around !!!

#120 ·
#121 ·
Just gave them some crab meat.. all gone crazy for it !! No wonder they are all chubby... hehe...
N for those who think african cichlids grow slowly... it all depends what u give them haha... Mine have grown so much in the matter of a few months !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHnYDPIp7Vk

#127 ·
It exists just to prove the impossible is a misconception..

Here's a video I took last nigh just to show how much the kids have grown!
And I'm intending to make a Time-lapse Video for the Zebra Cichlid Fries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvtBTZw3wa8

#134 ·
This is the first time seeing this thread and I have to say while I admire your determination and effort put forth building this tank, it scares the hell out of me. 2 seams in the middle of the tank and 4 seams on the bottom and tempered glass on all pieces. Aren't you afraid that one of those rocks will get knocked over from a digging cichlid and bump your tempered glass and shatter into a million little pieces and dump your tank water and all its contents on the floor? Regardless of my fears for you having to clean up 100 gallons of water and millions of pieces of glass your tank does look nice so I hope you the best.

#136 ·
Oh my, sorry if it scared you.. BoooHH };)
Me not scared..
1- Tempered glass shatter when rock hits it; well, my rocks are stacked to hold strong in place, and we often underestimate the real resistance of things.. Once i tried cutting my glass panel not knowing it was tempered glass.. got out all my bodybuilder strength on that panel, tried cut, hit it to brake apart, smashed against floor.. and to this day that panel has nothing more than a few scratches.
2-Because it is made of 13 panels, it has a flexibility that most tanks don't have, and which ever floor/base table/tank itself - irregularity that occurs is often compensated by the flexibility of the tank.
3- BONUS proof; In the last 3 months we had two earthquakes in Montreal... If it survives earthquakes I think its safe to say; no more worries ;)

#139 ·
#145 ·
#147 ·
Hahahaha.....

2 X batches of Zebras from 2 females..
2 X Batches of Jewels from same parents..

Very fine flake food works best so far n keeps water sorta clear considering the over population of fry lol.

#148 ·
You are incredibly talented! I've always wanted to grow plants out of the HOB filters, but just couldn't find plants that would do well and I couldn't find a way to hang lights that looked decent. I'm very impressed. Keep the ideas coming, I'm learning alot!

#150 ·
#151 ·
#152 ·
lol - I love it, it's like looking at a snow-globe! What are you doing with all the fry you're getting, are you growing them out in other tanks?

#153 ·
I had my two previous batches eaten by my zebra baby cichlids that I've put in same tank, but this time around they are all alone in a separate nursery and it's already been 4 days that everyone is alive n eatin well, third time will b the good one. I think hahah...
If I run out of space with next batches
well ill just get more nursery tanks haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.