The Planted Tank Forum banner

David's 75G Journal

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Buck 
#1 ·
I'm finally moved and the aquarium is set up.

I started the second week of March. The link below should get you to the photos. David's 75G Journal # 1 contains the setup pics and David's Photo Journal # 2 contains the ones with fish and plants.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dlwarnock

75G Oceanic Aquarium: Old friend, 15 years old
JBJ 48" Formosa 260w Compact Flourescent Light: ebay auction
50w substrate heater: fishvet.com
120lbs ECO - Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate: LFS
Ultimate CO2 System: floridadriftwood.com
2 100w titanium Heaters (I know they should be larger, warm room.)
Plants: aquariumgraden.com and floridadriftwood.com
Fish: various LFS I'm testing the capacity of the planted aquarium. 36 Harlequin Rasbora, 12 Pygmy Corydoras, 6 comman Algae Eaters, 8 German Blue Rams, 8 Beckford Pencil Fish, 2 Glo-Light Tetra, 1 Head and Tail Light Tetra. 10 OTo's and 6 Glo-lights coming. It is busy and I wish I'd gotten fewer Rasboras and I'd give anything to get the Algae eaters out.

Only lost one fish, Rasbora, so far.

Having the same trouble as Buck. This tank hasn't ever cleared up. The substrate looks great and holds plants well but the fuzziness is annoying.

Some green algae on the glass and a nasty brown hairy stuff growing in clumps. Doesn't attach to the plants but kind of hangs up on them. Can be pulled out by hand but is ugly.

Hope to clear the algae out when I start fertilizing seriously. Been using commercial preps. Bulks are ordered and should be here any day. (Thanks Marcel, your fertilizer post was terrific.)

Current parameters: CO2 about 20, GH 6, KH 3.5, PH 6.8, NO2 <.3, NO3 0. Haven't tested Iron, Potassium or Phosphates yet.

No pearling since I added fish. I suspect the fish are using all the O2 generated.

Been satisfied with the early going so far.

Thank you all again for your direct support and the terrific posts from the past that answered most of my questions.

David

[/url]

See less See more
#2 ·
David the tank is lookin good, I really like the wood that you added. Once it has all settled in it will look very nice.
Now for the troublesome part...
120lbs ECO - Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate
Having the same trouble as Buck. This tank hasn't ever cleared up
I still believe that somehow the Eco substrate's packaged bacteria caused me all the grief... it was slightly hazy at first but then got worst and stayed that way... damndest thing I have ever seen in 20 years of aquariums.... Was it the Eco Complete? I cant say yes, but I cant say no either, it is the only thing I cant prove it wasnt !
But also on the other hand all my plants are rootion and growin like crazy in it so it does have properties they seem to like and I love the dark look that it offers.

keep us posted bro ! Lookin good ! :wink:

Buck 8)

#5 ·
How long did it take for the fuzziness to appear? I just set up a 75 gallon using 160lbs. of Eco-Complete and it has been setup for a week w/o any fuzziness at all. I did not rinse. I have been taking pictures and will post them when I get back into town this weekend.

Moebius

#7 ·
My SeaChem test kit gave a result of about .2. The calulator said .25 teaspoon of potassium nitrate would bring it up to 3.78. The next day the test still says .2. Tried again, same result. Could the plants use it in a day?

Does this make sense or should I suspect my test kit?

I don't mind dosiing more. I'm just afraid to OD the fish.

David

#8 ·
Did a reference test on my test kit. It was a little paler than the chart but obviously in the ballpark. Dosed a teaspoon of Potassium Nitrate. Now it tests betwseen 5 and 10ppm.

I think I just need to get over worrying about this stuff. Apparently, it's not an exact science and very forgiving as far as toxic levels are concerned.

I'm still a little puzzled by the amount of KNO3 I had to use. Also, the chart doesn't say anything about the K. How much K am I adding when I dose a teaspoon of KNO3?

David

#10 ·
Mike,

I lost your email in a computer crash. I'd like you to give it to me again, please.

My tank is a disaster right now. The right side looks ok but the Lotus I hoped would be the main plant on my left side isn't growing. I had it behind the bog wood and thought the wood might be blocking the light. Took the bog wood out. Lotus jumped up to about three inches tall with alot of leaves and stopped growing again. Put in a bunch of Flourish tabs today. Hoping for the best.

My other problem is a god awful brown hair algae. It started almost immediately and has gotten worse. I've tried managing the nutrients. Less iron, less nitrate, more iron, more nitrate, etc. Nutrients don't seem to matter to the hair algae but I did discover the Lotus likes nitrate. Alot of the brown agae seems to be free floating as particles then clumps together to form stands and balls so tomarrow I'm gonig try to resurect an old Magnum 350 from the attic. I'm hoping to clear the tank and rid it of the brown algae particles. The new ones don't use diatom powder but this one was designed for it so if I can find it I'll give it a try.

Now to answer your question. I had planned to use a 2213 in addition to the 2026 for additional filtation and so all my eggs weren't all in one basket. With just the 2026 my small fishes were blown around so much by the current I didn't hook up the 2213. They've gotten used to the current now and I've decided I need the 2213 to help balance the circulation. When I finish with the Magnum I'll go ahead and use it. After the Magnum they'll be used to some serious current.

I've been keeping up with your posts. You're taking it slow but seem to be doing ok. I'm also using the dosing plan Rex gave you for my ferts. Thanks for asking that question.

Good Luck!

David

#12 ·
I've finally made some progress. After reading about Buck's success in cleaning up his water with the Vortex. I reclaimed an old 350 Magnum from the attic. Not only has the water cleared amazingly but most of the brown gunk is gone and the plants are growing.

Apparently, the brown yuck was stealing nutrients and the cloudy water was reducing the light. My Lotus has grown 50% in 24 hours and my Baby Tears about 25%. I addition to that I'm starting to see green algae. Never thought I'd be glad to see algae but the green stuff looks healthy where the brown stuff was ugly.

The only thing I did different besides the filter was to leave out the 1/8 tsp of phoshate I've been putting in at PWCs.

I've decided I'm going to leave the Magnum on the tank. The fish seem to love the current. I swear they are body surfing, no kidding. The Pro II 2026 will handle the biological while the Magnum does the mechcanical.

I'll post some pictures soon.

David

#14 ·
New photos taken today plus one taken of the algae on the baby tears before it began to clear up. Time for a new camera. The old 1 meag pixel needs replacement. Anyone have suggestions? Mike, what are you using?

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.