Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia senegalensis
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Rotala indica (Ammania sp. Bonsai)
Rotala sp. 'pearl'
Rotala sp. 'Yao yai'
Rotala magenta
Rotala mini

The tank has been set up for around a month now. It is lit by 3 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb (actual wattage is 23 watts) in aluminum reflectors. The bulbs rest on top of the tank's glass cover, and lights are on from 2-10 each day. Substrate is ADA powersand and aqua soil. CO2 is 3 bps. I am dosing EI. I do a 75% wc weekly.

The R. magenta and mini aren't growing very well. The mini grows green and stunted, while the magenta just fails to grow. This confuses me because all the other plants on the list are growing well. What could be causing this lack of growth?

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, those are the most difficult plants you have. Sometimes I've found that there are some plants that just do not do well in a tank, for no apparent reason. That may be the case. Try moving it to another high-tech tank or getting some new stems. If that doesn't work, then just get rid of it, you can't win em all.

#4 ·
Softer water does help. R. macrandra and magenta like more light then anyone would think is reasonable. You can try to rule the light out by letting one stem float for a week or so. If it starts to look good then you need more light for those guys. If you can, bumping up the co2 (slowly) and double-checking the circulation won't hurt either.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
The tank has been set up for around a month now. It is lit by 3 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb (actual wattage is 23 watts) in aluminum reflectors. The bulbs rest on top of the tank's glass cover, and lights are on from 2-10 each day. Substrate is ADA powersand and aqua soil. CO2 is 3 bps. I am dosing EI. I do a 75% wc weekly.

The R. magenta and mini aren't growing very well. The mini grows green and stunted, while the magenta just fails to grow. This confuses me because all the other plants on the list are growing well. What could be causing this lack of growth?
3 bps in a 10 gallon??????? Well you're problem certainly isn't a lack of co2.

Honestly, a 10g with all those stem plants isn't really sustainable.

#10 ·
FWIW
Growth Characteristics

Rotala macrandra requires generous amounts of light, carbon dioxide, cool water (less than 75 degrees Fahrenheit, or 24 degree Celsius), and a healthy substrate bed in order to be successful. Nitrogen limitation is also required to encourage the rich red hues from the leaves.

Preferred water hardness tends to be in the softer ranges, however, it has been known to grow in a KH of 8.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plantpedia/full_view_plant.php?item_id=104

#11 ·
FWIW
Growth Characteristics

Rotala macrandra requires generous amounts of light, carbon dioxide, cool water (less than 75 degrees Fahrenheit, or 24 degree Celsius), and a healthy substrate bed in order to be successful. Nitrogen limitation is also required to encourage the rich red hues from the leaves.

Preferred water hardness tends to be in the softer ranges, however, it has been known to grow in a KH of 8.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plantpedia/full_view_plant.php?item_id=104

I thought the nitrogen-redness correlation was mostly a myth?

#15 ·
Finally, the rotala magenta that I bought last Dec last year has been growing fully! It has been adapting my tank for more than 2 mos. Ive thrown most of them since they had been covered with algae and no growth on top. Ive lyeft about 4 stems and they have been growing nice showing colors.

#16 ·
I've let the tank go for the past 1.5 weeks or so cause my CO2 ran out and I ended up having to get a new tank, which I was unable to do until yesterday. During this time, I reduced my lighting to two bulbs and reduced/stopped dosing. Interestingly the R. mini is starting to recover somewhat, though the R. magenta is gone.

Here is the most recent growth. The leaves are about 3/4 the length of the old ones, though they are only around half as wide.They seem to be a bit curled up at the sides. The color is not quite as intense as it could be. For comparison here are some of the old leaves from when I got the plant.

I currently have CO2 at 3bps and the fish seem to be doing okay so far (introduced them yesterday) and currently have 3 bulbs, w/ two of them resting above the center hinge of the cover (padded by some dark plastic) so the light is reduced somewhat. Should I stay with the 3 bulbs, or should I go back to two?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.