The Planted Tank Forum banner

How about families enjoying our tanks?

1K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  oscarsx 
#1 ·
I've seen a couple threads about amusing antics when our hobby and our family clash. How about when they do the opposite?

I walked in this morning to find my 6 and 8 year old sons completely engrossed in a tank I'm in the middle of setting up. I think they were late to school because we just sat there talking about it for a while instead of getting ready!

In this tank there is a ton of HC, 3 cherries, 2 amano, and a lot of empty space waiting for things to arrive. If you're curious about the empty pots, I'm waiting for a 4 foot long t5 to arrive that will replace the hood and there will be plants all around the tank.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great photo! This is primarily the reason for my even being on this site. I'm coming from a reef tank I started about a year ago and have recently decided to go back to freshwater and want to try a planted tank. My boy loved the reef tank and I want to put something together for him on the new tank. It always cracked me up to watch him stare into the tank jibber jabbering to it's contents.

#5 ·
Wish my wife actually enjoyed my tanks. I don't think she minds my 60G since it's been up for a while and grown in now, but I will never catch her sitting in front of the tank just staring at the fish/plants.

I started a 15G for RCS and she doesn't like the shrimp at all... she says they are ugly :hihi:

No help on tank maintenance either obviously if she won't even look at the tank unless I call her into the basement to come and look at it for a minute

#6 ·
Due to space in our house I only have my 20 long setup right now. It was in the living room but the kids use the tv more that I do and never show any interest at all. To bad for them I guess. So I moved it to the bedroom beside my computer desk. I spend a lot of time in the room so I can enjoy it more. My girlfriend likes it, but laughs at me and calls me a nerd for checking on the forums and posting pics of my setups. She's just being funny

#8 ·
My wife loves the tanks. I have a 30g in her office with RCS and a bump of tetras and she loves being able to watch them school around. I got rid of my Reef tank because it was just costing too much and she really pushed for putting in a new tank and going to freshwater to keep cost down. Somehow I managed to talk her into getting a tank twice the size. :D

#9 ·
I guess I'm very, very lucky. My husband is very supportive. When I had some aggression in one of my tanks and said I think maybe I need to separate some of them he said, "Well, maybe you should get another tank, work on that." Wow! :smile: So he is fully supportive of my addiction.

We recently had a Rusty holding and I set up a little emergency fry tank with a Rubbermaid container. She spit the babies when I put here in there. Now he comes in every morning to see how the "kids" are. He is amazed at the shellies and their constant digging and rearranging of their tank. Now he said it would be kind of nice to have a 55 gallon in "his" main room, his "man cave" to watch them. So another tank in my future. But he said I have to maintain it because it's all beyond him. Although if I need some muscle he's more than happy to help. :icon_smil

#12 ·
My little brothers (2, 3, and 4 yrs old) LOVE my discus. My dad likes the serpae tetras and everyone likes the apistos.

#16 ·
My two roommates, their girlfriends, and my girlfriend all really enjoy my tank! Both my roommates are often on the ground looking closely into the tank asking me questions about it. My girlfriend picked out one of the fish and named it tarzan so she likes to check in on him too haha.

My parents let me set up a 55 reef in their home and they love it too!

#17 ·
Ah, working on that. I'm grooming my younger sister to take over the tank-o-verse when I go to college. I even set up a goldfish proof scape for her beloved 'Frankfurter'. She says good night to the thing every night. But a single drop of water from my own planted tanks will send her screaming. The water's not *that* bad... come to think of it... it's probably cleaner than hers... well... one step at a time.

She's apparently named all my fish...
My entire colony of mollies is named some derivative of 'Li'l guy' There's Li'l guy, li'l li'l guy, li'l li'l li'l guy, etc.

#19 ·
But a single drop of water from my own planted tanks will send her screaming. The water's not *that* bad... come to think of it... it's probably cleaner than hers... well... one step at a time.
This made me laugh...

My wife doesn't like the fish tank water... she says it's "fish poo water" and it's dirty. Won't put her hand it in... nothing... runs when I chase her after I put my hand in my tank... I'm mean :hihi:

#18 ·
Wife loves all my tanks. Two 75s planted, 44 hex planted, 125 mbuna. But of all the tanks and fish there is only one fish she cares about: the weather loach in the 75 gallon in our living room. She talks to him and named him. Says he has personality and a face lol.

#20 ·
my ex was the only one that loved my tank . most of my friends make fun of me over my obsession with my tank (maybe because on a sat. night would rather mess with tank then go out ) lmao ....but whenever they are drunk they like to stare at it and find all the shrimp or see some of the cool plants lol

#21 ·
My friends all think my tank is pretty awesome and always inspect closely when they come over. Wife and son are fairly indifferent but generally like them. For a while my wife would have fits at me spending money of any kind on them. If she came home and saw anything new she would say "you bought MORE stuff????". So this week I was surprised when I completely rescaped both tanks, added an eheim 2217 to the 75 gallon, about 10 new moss covered rocks and a new blue ram, and recieved no comment at all. I'll take it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.