The Planted Tank Forum banner

5G Edge + CRS SSS + Fire Reds + Macro Photography

24K views 194 replies 53 participants last post by  toofazt 
#1 · (Edited)
A recent move forced me to break down my five gallon Fluval Edge that I was using for a Endler tank. This time I'm going super simple with just shrimp, and locally collected plants. Starting off with Aqua Soil, a couple Hygrophila Polysperma, Hydrocotyle tripartita and some locally collected "star moss" and mossy rocks. Not sure if the moss can grow submerged but I'll soon find out. :) Oh and you may of noticed I don't have shrimp yet, still trying to figure out what type I want to go with... *Edit- There's CRS, Cherry, Amano.

5/18/12

5/16/12

4/27/12

4/4/12

2/11/12

12/3/11

11/21/11

10/13/11

It fits perfectly on an antique sewing machine cabinet. On the floor you can see the old stainless steel rimmed aquarium I just picked up. That will be a project for another day!

[/B]

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking OEBT or CRS shrimp... ;)
It's beautiful. Your moss looks great. Subscribed.
I really hope the moss transitions to submerged growth, I really like how it looks too!
beautiful XD I love the black background, it contrasts well with the plants :p Everything looks healthy too
What's an XD? I don't have a black background, just the first picture is a faster shutter speed so it only picks up the tank light. ;)

#15 ·
I love that aquarium on the floor!! Hope you will do a journal when you start it, where'd ya get it? I like the Edge too, I think simple setups are some of the best looking ones.
I think the modern tank goes perfect with the antique table! I was also able to hide all the cords inside the table so it looks much cleaner now. The tank on the floor is a vintage Pemco 10G aquarium I picked up at a thrift store for $6. I haven't had time to clean it up or even see if it still holds water but I couldn't pass it up for that!
*subscribed* I love seeing what other people are doing with their Edge!
Here's my first setup with the Edge, it shows my lighting mod: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/126779-edge-6g.html

#16 ·
What're you using for your lights? In your second pic they seem to be pretty bright. I'm using the mr11 LED's and a 5" 10W cfl bulb and it still seems to be so dim... I remember it being so much brighter, the led's still have all 10 working and the cfl I don't think should be that dim yet I can't figure out why it's so dissapointing

#17 ·
Check the link in my post above or click the link in my sig. ;) The stock lighting on the Edge does suck. I tried the MR11's and they weren't much better. With my current lighting I think I could grow pretty much anything... as long as I don't put the hood on!

#18 ·
Almost two week update- The moss on the rocks seems to be doing well. I've even noticed two small plants starting to grow out of the moss, gotta love hitch hikers! I was able to hide the cords up in the cabinet so it looks much cleaner now.

#21 ·
I'm happy to report that the moss I found is growing great! The moss on the rocks is starting to grow vertical and the star moss is getting longer. I've got some hair algae but it's not too bad. I'm currently gathering parts for a paintball CO2 setup, will post build info soon.

The star moss is hard to get a pic of but you can see it in the middle of the pic below:

#24 · (Edited)
This isn't the star moss they sell on e-bay; I found this in a local stream. The top looks like a star so I called it star moss, not sure what it is though, lol.
Looks nice. Is that regular 4 leaf clover in the middle there?
Nope, Hydrocotyle tripartita. It's a really cool plant, I have some that got uprooted and is currently growing on the sponge filter (you can see it in the second pic).

Thanks

#26 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's starting to look like it. Pretty cool, I thought it would just die off but it's been growing great. Can't wait till I get my CO2 hooked up!

Pics from first post moved here for less clutter:

Mossy rock:

"Star" moss:

#27 · (Edited)
I collected some weeds around my backyard this evening. Top middle looks like HC, huh? I think only one or two may be aquatic but here's what I came up with:

And here's how they look in the tank (I also moved some stuff around):

#37 ·
Thanks! I enjoy finding local mosses/weeds that I can grow in my tank.
Looks like HC to me. I have HC growing in my front yard and it grows best during cooler winter/spring months and dies off during summer/fall. Dont know why oregon wouldn't have it...im sure they sell it at yard and garden stores. And it can be grown submerged but it needs relatively high light and CO2 or it croaks. And that "star moss" is interesting. If it grows submerged let me know beacuse Ill buy IT ALLLLLLL!!!! We have "star moss' here in Cali that grows in damp areas and on trees, near water......but not in water....it melts and craps up an aquarium in a hurry.
I'm not sure, I've only worked with submerged HC growth in the past... We'll see soon enough. The "star moss" is doing great so far, take a look at the pics I just posted. I live in the banana belt of the Oregon coast, doesn't get too cold here. :)

#34 ·
Looks like HC to me. I have HC growing in my front yard and it grows best during cooler winter/spring months and dies off during summer/fall. Dont know why oregon wouldn't have it...im sure they sell it at yard and garden stores. And it can be grown submerged but it needs relatively high light and CO2 or it croaks. And that "star moss" is interesting. If it grows submerged let me know beacuse Ill buy IT ALLLLLLL!!!! We have "star moss' here in Cali that grows in damp areas and on trees, near water......but not in water....it melts and craps up an aquarium in a hurry.

#35 ·
Here's a closeup shot of the "star moss" that has made the transition from emerged to submerged nicely. This is the clump in the first photo a month ago. You can also see the little plant that sprung up from it a couple weeks in. Can anyone ID it? Really small and delicate...

This is some moss I pulled from my backyard today. Kinda looks like the above moss but I have a feeling it's not... Kinda looks like the stuff they sell on ebay as star moss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.