Combine two 55 gallon tanks... What'cha think? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #31
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If you try DogFish's idea for a 48" x 48" x 24" tank, it will be as strong and safe as a standard 55 gallon tank. The weakest glass is the longest glass, and you will be using those from a proven safe design tank, so they are strong enough. The bottom, I agree again with DogFish, that putting reinforcing pieces of glass across the seams, on the inside, will work fine, even if you don't use a fully supported bottom, but just an edge supported bottom. You will want to silicone seal the whole overlap area, so that will be a very strong joint. And, of course, you will want to Eurobrace the sides to take the place of the standard 55 gallon cross brace.

The only problem I see are having to make a stand that will be adequate and look good, and having to move such a large, awkwardly shaped tank. Good luck, and I hope you try this and report on it.

Last edited by Hoppy; 11-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #32
drazend
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

HA, I know exactly what you are talking about, my father-in-law is a bowyer (self-wood/long bows), and loves making things in general with wood. While he uses all kinds of woods, osage is his go-to wood for bow making. He recently got a connection with someone where he has the potential to get as much as he wants from someone's fence row.

He has used it for so many things that now it's a running joke that if something is broken he can fix it with osage.

You are right though, it is tough to work with, especially if you get wood from one of the slower growing trees, the growth rings are TIGHT on those jokers! It is pretty cool how the color changes with age too, he has several bows ranging from a few weeks to 15+ years (i think) old all looking like they come from a different type of wood (based on the color).

Nice revolver BTW

Back to topic, knowing the density/durability and longevity of this wood I think I could use it as a frame in addition to glass supports, in my head I have it worked out to look nice as well as being functional. and aside from time, it would be no cost to me, so it would keep the "upgrade" cost down considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I Love/Hate that Wood. I believe it is the most dense North American Hardwood. I have in in the riser of two of my Recurve Bows and as grips for my S & W 325NG .45acp revolver.

I've made a few small hunting related items out of it. What a headache to work with. I think I actually dulled out a File on it.

I do like how it changes color over time too.
drazend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I like dogfish's idea as well. The biggest hurdle I see is the euro cross bracing the hoppy mentioned.

It will have to cross both front to back and side to side. What would prevent the euro brace from caving in at the middle where the two cross?

I think it is definitely possible to do this way though.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
drazend
Planted Member

I will definitely keep bracing in mind, I really don't want to create a mess

I agree with you that the sheer size of the thing might make it difficult to find a place for it... It's almost as big (aside from the height) as the cube I work in!

One other member mention thickness, this is my biggest concern at the moment, I have no difficulties with my ability to support the tank so that the siliconed seams do not separate, but the thickness... Well, i can't do a thing about that without buying new pieces. It's tempered, so I know technically it can be thinner than non-tempered glass and withstand more pressure, but I have to do some figuring to determine HOW much.

Crossing the braces is another hurdle for the 4' x 4' tank... But I may be able to use a methodology similar to izabell depending on the thickness of the cross braces. AHH, unless I can find someone with a broken tank, I would have to BUY cross pieces for bracing... Seems like I have a lot of thinking to do.

It is looking like I won't do ANYTHING with this until after we move (our house isn't even sold yet, so there's no ETA). I'd like to take it with me if I spend a lot of time working on it, I just couldn't stand leaving it behind... This is going to drive me crazy until I can get my hands on those panes of glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you try DogFish's idea for a 48" x 48" x 24" tank, it will be as strong and safe as a standard 55 gallon tank. The weakest glass is the longest class, and you will be using those from a proven safe design tank, so they are strong enough. The bottom, I agree again with DogFish, that putting reinforcing pieces of glass across the seams, on the inside, will work fine, even if you don't use a fully supported bottom, but just an edge supported bottom. You will want to silicone seal the whole overlap area, so that will be a very strong joint. And, of course, you will want to Eurobrace the sides to take the place of the standard 55 gallon cross brace.

The only problem I see are having to make a stand that will be adequate and look good, and having to move such a large, awkwardly shaped tank. Good luck, and I hope you try this and report on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #35
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Will work on smaller tanks. putting 2 55 together mean taken one of the side glass off and using silicone to hold them together. One way or another the middle will leak, you can duck tape it and will still leak.

Try this idea

take all the glass off and just use the bigger size.

Your tank foot print should be
48" L x 24" W x 21" H

bottom
2 48"x12 = 48x24
front-back
48x21
side-side
24x21

you will end up cutting one 48x12 in half for the 2 side.

Silicone the 2 bottom glass will be fine and leak save if only the flood or stand is flat must be 100% flat
Use left over glass to build smaller tank or use it to make a glass top
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #36
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Eurobracing is horizontal strips of glass along the front, back and side panels, resulting in a smaller open top on the tank. It isn't cross braces. Those horizontal strips convert the glass panels to sort of I beams, so they are reinforced against bending, which is the problem with long panels of glass. You would need to buy those strips of glass, say 3 inch wide 6 mm glass, and cut them to fit well inside the top of the tank. Ideally they would be mitered on the ends, but I don't think that is necessary at all. (Now that I think about it, if the tank bottoms aren't tempered you could cut those into strips, but they probably are tempered.)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #37
bibbster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here you go, this proves it can be done...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...10-5-feet-long

And a spoiler alert pic...
bibbster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
drazend
Planted Member

Eurobracing wouldn't be that bad of an idea, and I kind of like the way it looks

It looks like I'm not the first to have this idea though A friend of mine sent me a link and it seems someone else beat me to the punch. Kind of like my idea for turning a 55 gallon on it's side for a 4' long x 24" wide x 12" tall tank (a buddy of mine wanted to do a bottom feeder tank and was looking for a cheap short tank).

If you are interested in how it turned out for the other people that joined 2 55s and 1 29 gallon tank here's the link. It hasn't leaked as far as I know, but the last update was in March.

I know having the wooden brace down the middle will "obstruct the view" but it honestly won't bother me. If I were doing it for a show tank, I would just start saving for an upgrade

Thank you everyone for your comments and assistance with my insane idea!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #39
mcfly84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well I have some new found insight after doing a little reading and checking out that link you provided. All in all you should be fine as long as you're patient and very meticulous during construction. The weight of the water shouldn't be a problem as long as the glass isn't in a bind when filling with water. Any configuration you choose should work as long as you don't try to increase the height of the tank using only the glass you have from the provided aquariums. I would look at the DIY all galss build in the link I provided to get the silicone he uses. Eurobracing would totally work too if done properly. Also if you did the seams properly you could get away with using glass as the bracing on the sides instead of wood.
mcfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #40
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

You people are dangerous. Izabella87 started it for me, you guys have pushed me over the edge. Following all the links through to the MFK build that combined two 55s and a 29 has my brain churning like a squirrel on crack. I have a friend who owns a glass shop. Another dear friend gave me an early Christmas present of a table saw. I will lay in bed all night thinking of ways to make custom shaped tanks with hardwood frames - LOL
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.