The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marineland Canister filters any good ?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Finalplay10 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experiences with the marineland canister filters ?

How is the quality of the hoses ? Any complaints ? What did you like about it ?

What would you recommend instead of it ?

This would be for a 40 - 60 gallon tank.

Thanks

#2 ·
my wife just bought I think is the Marineland C-220 Canister Filter for 20gal turtle tank . It came with 4 baskets 1 I use withe coarse pads it came with {with 2x 5inch turtles} I use 2 baskets and filled it with charcoal and Ammonia Reducer . I didn't like the ceramic rings that came with it so I replace it with the Eheim ceramic balls that filled the basket perfect with out any by-pass. just make sure that the intake and return are below the water line and the self prime will work perfect. Nice flow and keeps the 20in turtle tank clean. And runs quit cant hear anything.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/marineland-c-220-canister-filter.html
get the 360 but try to get the 530 it would be best.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/filters.html
Hydro came out with a a good filter also . always try to get the biggest you can get.

#4 ·
Thank you for the replies,

The reason im asking is that many years ago when I was active in the hobby I only bought Eheim and Tunze filters. Both worked amazing.

Since then the Eheim Classic filters no longer seem to be made in Germany the box at the store says Made in the PRC (im assuming that is the Peoples Republic of China), and what further bothers me is when I sent an Email to Eheim and asked them where the Classic filters were made the reply was all Eheim products are made in Germany, so there is a bit of a confusion going on.

I'd buy a Tunze filter again and probably will but I'd rather get something more easily serviceable and not so expensive to start up again in the hobby.

Anywho im rambling on here, the Mrineland Canister Filters are fairly cheap and I can pick one up at Petsmart here in Ottawa Canada.

#5 ·
Big Als sells them cheaper if you're sure you want a marineland. But, the eheim classic series are the only ones that are assembled in china (the pro series are all still made in germany), and the classic parts are still made in germany. I have a couple that are assembled in china and they are still the best filter on the market today imo.

#6 ·
No experience with Marineland canisters, but I just shopped for a new canister and chose an Eheim Classic. Just too many gaskets to fail in the Marineland models, and too many leak problems reported for me to feel comfortable. I'd take a look through reviews. That said, people who purchased since 2011 seem to like them.

#11 ·
I had a Marineland 350 blow a gasket and security clips (guessing the pressure from the H2O coming out snapped them) near simultaneously. I caught the Lid right in the chin once the clips went. With that being said... if everything is working properly and you replace parts more than NEVER this is a very powerful and effective filtration unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.