The Planted Tank Forum banner

Spokane or Eastern Washington

7K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  thelub 
#1 ·
Anybody in the Spokane or Eastern Washington area?

#32 ·
I just joined the site and am also in Spokane. After starting this hobby up again I went through many pains trying to find good fish. Buying fish from the chain stores that kept dying, they never really looked too healthy and lots of times seeing fish with Ich. Finally after researching and spending time driving around to stores I found the only places I will buy fish from Aquarium Solutions (Great looking fish Barbie!) or Northwest Seed & Pet Sprague location. (Great looking fish that they get locally and knowledgeable workers)

#33 ·
Hi Ban024,

Welcome to TPT! You have definitely found the two best shops that I have heard about in that part of the state. Barbie is awesome; she is one of the top Loricariid breeders in the country and is world known. She did a great presentation on breeding Plecostomus for GSAS two years ago.

#34 ·
New member here posting up. I'm in Tri-Cities (Richland) and there's not much here. Aqua Tropics has some fish, but every time I go in there they never seem to have more than guppies and the occasional large fish. But the guys there are usually pretty helpful and listen to my ideas/questions. Petsmart on Canal actually has some good fish and some fairly knowledgeable people for a chain store. I see very few floaters when I go in. Now Petco in West Richland is another story. Seems like there are almost more deads than alive.

I find myself wishing I was back in Portland so I could shop at Caves and the Wet Spot :( Luckily the Wet Spot ships and I think I will be doing most of my purchases there.

*edit*
I did stop in at Aquarium Solutions when I was in Spokane a couple months ago and Barbie was very nice and helpful. She has some beautiful tank there!

#46 ·
Aqua Tropics in Kennewick is hit and miss. I ordered some otos and corys from them and I've had 100% survival rate and I've had them for ~7 months now. They just don't stock much and their stuff seems to have gone down hill lately. There's a new store in old town Kennewick called "The Fish Guy" that looks promising. I haven't had a chance to check them out in a while, but when I was in there, they had only been open for a short time and had a decent little selection of plants. It was small, but they looked good.

#42 ·
Hi,

I'm in the Spokane area also. Having a real hard time finding quality plants. Haven't been to the Sprague nw seed & pet, guess I should check it out. The best ones I've gotten have come from Petco as they're actually in water and not those plastic tubes. I really like aquarium solutions also, but I've had hair algae come on all their plants. If any of you have plants to divide and trim I'd be interested as I just purchased a 36 gallon bow front tank :)

#43 ·
There isn't many places to get aquarium plants in this city. I would just order online. Trust me I been all around the city. About 2-3 place listed on google are closed.

Goodluck.

#44 ·
Aq Solutions has a limited plant selection. I feel Barbie just has them there, but its not really her specialty. NW Seed on Sprauge has a staple of common plants, and sometimes other stuff that is brought in by customers. Petco has some of the basics too and seem to be alright. I know Gene and Terry can order in just about any plant you want. Depending on what you need or want I should have some clippings in the near future. Ordering online is also a choice.

#45 ·
Barbie at aquarium solutions is amazing. While yes, her plant selection isn't up to par with us plant nerds, her fish selection is one of the best in the country. She grew up in my hometown of Brewster, WA and she was my nearest LFS. She is the pleco master, and can order practically any fish you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.