The Planted Tank Forum banner

New store in Seattle

11K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  Aquariumplus 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Hi Digsy,

One of our GSAS members visited the store today and provided the following review:

"I just went by the shop. It is small but it is great. The owner
Jimmy is a really nice fellow. His prices are insane.

Tiger, Blue, Bumblebee and Sunkist shrimp for $3 buy 5 get one free.
Amano are $2.50

Celestial Pearl Danios are only $4.50
Young Panda Cory are $2 buy 5 get one free.

It is hard to find. It is in the 1st floor corner of a nondescript ID
strip mall at 12/Jackson.

Well worth the trip.

Gsas members get an additional 10% off.

It is worth the trip just to see the beautiful freshwater stingray!"

I like the 10% GSAS discount!

#9 ·
This is a friend of a friend's store and my friend hasn't stopped talking about it for like the past month. He even helped set up and I think he was helping out in the store Wednesday if anyone was there then. Considering he is a hardcore reefer I am rather excited to get down there but I haven't had time.

What I keep hearing is that he is importing his own stuff so the prices should be lower than other stores.

I'll let you guys know what he has got if I get down there but I don't have a day off until Tuesday.

If someone makes it there before me let us know how it is.

#13 ·
Hi Alon,

I think that the store that brohawk may be referring to on Hwy 99 is Midway Tropical Fish. I haven't been in there lately so I don't know about shrimp. A Place for Pets in Burien usually has shrimp, sometimes a nice selection of different types, but I have not seen CRS there.

For those interested the first GSAS meeting of the year is this coming Tuesday (9/8/09) at Seattle Pacific University, visit GSAS.org for information.

#18 ·
For those interested the first GSAS meeting of the year is this coming Tuesday (9/8/09) at Seattle Pacific University, visit GSAS.org for information.
Was there, still need to sign up for a membership however.

EDIT: Glad to hear about the lack of painted fish, this is one case where I am quite happy to be proven wrong. I honestly have a hard time finding places to buy fish locally as I'm not eager to support stores that sell (or are affiliated with stores that sell) puppies/kittens, places that sell painted fish, etc etc.

#14 ·
The Craigslist ads were for the new store in the International District. Here's the info from an APC post:

Aquarium Plus had just open for business. To celebrate our new opening, all items will be 10 to 20% off on 9-13-2009 (Sunday), and all APC members will always enjoy 5- 10%, Our address is 1207 S Jackson ST. #108 Seattle WA 98178 (under the seven stars restaurant) and our number is 425-686-8428, mail orders are welcome. Our business hours Monday, Wednesday to Friday from 12pm to 8pm weekends are 11am to 7pm. Here are some of our items that we carry and all prices are before the discount (shipping is not included):
Bee Shrimps $3.00/ea Buy 5 get one free
“S” Grade CRS $8.00/ea
Amano Shrimps $2.50/ea Buy 5 get one free
Galaxy Rasbora $4.50/ea Buy 5 get one free
Feather fin rainbow $ 2.00/ea buy 5 get one free
Rummy Nose tetra $1.25/ea buy 5 get one free
Hikrai frozen blood worms $3.00/pack

#16 ·
I stopped by today and found the place to be really nice. Really cheap fish and Jimmy was pretty nice. He let me take some pictures so hopefully these will give everyone some idea of the store. I wasn't feeling like like being an excellent photographer after I got off work so forgive me for the quality in some of these photos. The Aquarium lights also mess with the white balance in the pictures.

The store is kind of hidden on the right but there is a sign.

The shop itself is a bit small and part of that floor space is eaten up by the koi pond. Tanks and fish all look clean and healthy. Jimmy is a fun guy to talk to and cares about what he does which makes for an enjoyable visit. I asked about the shrimp since I thought you guys might care and he said he is moving them to another rack he is making which is why he is low for now. He does have some ADA stuff but said it was a bit harder to get so he doesn't have a ton of it right now. He still seems to be setting up some more tanks and stuff right now so I am sure in the next few months his assortment will grow to have a bit more of a selection in fish, asking nicely also won't hurt if there is something specific you are looking for. He said he was getting some really good root tabs in soon so I will be picking up some of those when he does. If you are in the area or just curious I would check it out. I had an enjoyable time and I will be back in the future.

#17 ·
Great pics, Plakat!

I was there last Saturday, bought a bunch of Sunset and Bee shrimp. I may return this coming weekend to get some of those Threadfin Rainbows to add to the collection I already have. Jimmy's prices can't be beat!

The shop is difficult to find, thinking we need to add a photo of the strip mall from the street!

Take care!
Rob

PS First time I've seen Badis badis!

#20 ·
Hi plakat,

Thank you for the pictures! Jimmy joined GSAS on Tuesday night. Even with his very low prices he giving discounts to GSAS members that show their current membership cards. What a great selection of shrimp and were those some nice looking angels and CPD or what?

#22 ·
Its pretty easy just when you see the strip mall its to the right of the pho place.

Seattle_Aquarist said:
Thank you for the pictures! Jimmy joined GSAS on Tuesday night. Even with his very low prices he giving discounts to GSAS members that show their current membership cards. What a great selection of shrimp and were those some nice looking angels and CPD or what?
Yeah those were CPDs.

#24 · (Edited)
Like many of you I'm picky about where I buy fish, and of course that means I never buy anything from the shops in the international district, especially because I hate arguing with the staff just to get the darn thing sold at the real price.

I've been into Aquarium Plus five times in the last month or so, and simply because of Jimmy, the owner, the shop has become a go to place for equipment and fish.

He's willing to sell you aquasoil by the pound- he actually opened a bag for me. He sells ceramic bio media for $6/lb. and all the rest of his prices are untouchable. I've had some long conversations with him and he is a true hobbiest who wants to support other hobbiests.

I bought 6 galaxy rasboras that are doing great, and the last time I was in I picked up some cheap algea srimp. I've also bought some blyxa, bacopa, and pearl grass. All great stuff at great prices, though the bacopa had some algea but nothing awful.

So give him a try.
12th and Jackson on the south side of the street.
I think he's closed on tuesday.

#25 ·
I appreciate the review, and I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately when I stopped in to check the place out, they were apparently completely out of Amano shrimp. The only freshwater shrimp I saw in stock at the time were a few yellow shrimp, but it was unclear if there were actually for sale. I was also hoping to find a glass drop checker, but he either doesn't sell those, or didn't have any in stock. My experience was the same as everyone else though that the owner was very friendly and knowledgeable. I really wish I could find a local source of Amano shrimp for a reasonable price... the only place that seems to consistently have them locally is Denny's, and their prices are usually laughable.

#28 ·
just in today:) great store with Awesome prices:) Jimmy was very nice very honest and very helpfull i ended up buying 2 "algae eating shrimp" that jimmy said he had no clue what they were but they sound like wild neos but awesome shop with an awesome owner.. (a lot of fish there that i've never seen jimmy said he makes it a shop that doesn't sell the common fish) Everything was healthy but if you are going to get shrimp wait until next week to go as all there is left is crystal reds, algae eating shimp and orange shrimp, (he said he's getting a huge order next week) theres also plants at a decent price:)

Also met Seattle Aquarist there so HI lol

#29 ·
Hi connordude27,

It was great meeting you at Aquarium Plus, Jimmy is a really nice guy. I hope you like your shrimp! I picked seven (7) Threadfin Rainbows for $10....crazy prices!

Hopefully Jimy will be part of a "Shrimp Panel" we will be having at GSAS at our November meeting. This month (next Tuesday 10/13/09) we will be having a talk on aquarium plants and planted tanks. One of our members, Erik Olson of "The Krib" fame, videos most of our presentations and they are made available to members so if you miss a meeting, or would like to review a presentation, it is available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.