The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pond plants from lake.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ralph50 
#1 ·
I am about to start planting my 400 gallon pond and the plants are pricey.

$40 for a water lily????

My pond is under an awning so it gets plenty of shade. I have zero algae problems but I am concerned about spending $$$ only to have the plants die.

I live near a lake and was thinking of taking plants from the lake and putting them in the pond after a "dip."

I am looking at cattails right now and want to go dig them up.

What kind of plants should I look for in South Florida and what chemical to use in the "dip?"

I think it is Magensium something??? or Iodide??? My chemistry is rusty.

#2 ·
look for any plants growing underwater or at the edge of the water, and just replant them into or around your pond. the lake and your pond probably have pretty similar conditions, so if you find something that looks cool or interesting, grab it!

as for the "dip" i am pretty sure that you just fill up two buckets with water, add some bleach to one, and then dip it in the bleach to kill the algae, then dip it in the clean water to rinse it off, and put it in the water.

Magnesium (Mg) and Iodine (I) are trace elements that one might need to add in a high tech tank, but even then it isn't really necessary per se. You shouldn't ever need to worry about them. (although if you ever happen to acquire a strip of Mg, burn it! it burns extremely brightly and looks really cool.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.