The Planted Tank Forum banner

my first shot at it

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ldk59 
#1 ·
this is the first shot at an aquascape. it now has a betta in it. thanks for any and all comments and sugestions wicca

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice start. I love the pieces of driftwood with the plants and moss on them.

Looks like you're going to need a different substrate unfortunately. The pea gravel you have right now doesn't supply any nutrients to the plants, which is why some of the leaves are turning brown. Some good substrates are Flourite or Eco-Complete. These two substrates can either be bought at a fish store or online.
Flourite Link: Here
Eco-Complete Link: Here

What type of lighting do you have running over the tank? How many watts? If you could post the tank specs (how many gallons, what type of filtration, lighting, etc) that would make it easier for people to help and give you suggestions.

Once you get a new substrate, you should definitely get more plants. Doesn't look full enough, and doesn't have much depth. All the tall stuff is in the back, then the rest is just plants that are all the same hight. Awesome start though, looking forward to updates - good luck!

#3 ·
It looks very nice, I hope it fills in fast!
A couple of things, Like AzFishKid said you may need something with nutrients on the substrate, if you don't want to replace it you could always add root tabs, becasue as he said some plants like to take their nutrients by the roots.

The other thing I'd do is divide the HC into a few smaller portions, maybe divide it in four clumps so it will spread quicker.

And if the plants are melting a little or turning brown don't worry too much most plants do that when they are transplanted to a new tank, it takes a few weeks for them to adapt to your water parameters.

Nice tank!

#4 ·
Merry Meet Wicca,

That's a fine start you have there... I like the moss wall as a backdrop :smile:

The only real weakness I see is the substrate.... I believe Eco-Complete
would serve you well in this little tank.

Be sure to keep us updated on your little tank, I think your headed in
the right direction :thumbsup:

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.