The Planted Tank Forum banner

I just saved a lot of money on my car insurance..

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  AlanLe 
#1 ·
Well...not car insurance. but close enough. The $500 boat tax we were trying to cut back on by moving the boat for it to be surveyed was cut back to $150. ^.^ Worth the two + weeks of sleeping on a sofa, getting some kind of Upper Respiratory Infection, and dealing with mother stomping around at 5 am.

Boats coming back today!

#4 ·
This is probably the biggest cost saving measure I've made. I used to pay $85 up to $95 for a smart phone. Now paying $45. I haven't noticed any degradation in call quality or data speeds. I also own my phone outright.

I also switched car insurance companies a while back which save dme about $300 every six months.

Shop around, people!

#8 ·
Car insurance is only cheap for married individuals. If you single, you cant get a deal. Ive checked with dozens of insurers and none want to beat progressive by even a $1. I talked with a lady who was in the biz and she says there is no money to be made on folks like me which is why I am stuck. Michigan has the worst rates too. :/

#10 ·
The idea is to get you signed up for car AND homeowners' insurance at the very least. They try like heck to bundle them. Single folk tend to not be homeowners. If you are, they would sing a different tune.

But if you're a homeowner, you have to be really careful switching carriers. Some are just nimrods about inspecting your house. I made the mistake of switching a couple of years ago from Allstate to Geico. First I found out Geico only "sells" for Travelers. So Geico just gets a cut like a broker would. Travelers contracts inspections. The genius that inspected my house made a huge issue of moss growing under the shingles of my shed. Never noting that the tree that caused the moss next to the shed had been removed (stump's still there!). I live in the middle of an oak forest for Pete's sake! There's barely $500 worth of stuff in there and they were fully prepared to cancel the policy if I didn't "remedy" the moss under the shingles. I'll stop here, cause it got even more ridiculous and could type a few more paragraphs. I wasted WAY more time and money than the lousy $150 a year I saved switching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.