The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rock ID help please

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AoxomoxoA 
#1 ·
Hi, I have some rocks I need identified if possible. Also are they shrimp/snail safe?
Please excuse the quality, my camera has a bad user, & it's always wet :hihi:

I did a vinegar test initially, but did not put them in a bucket of vinegar... Should i have? I did boil & scrub them several times. There was no reaction from any with vinegar.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
first and second look like granite, third looks like some igneous rock (safe), and the fourth looks like quartz.

I'd say the first 2 are probably unsafe, granite can have quite a bit of calcium and vinegar is a terrible test. You need to use muriatic, hydrochloric or sulpheric acid, vinegar simply isn't strong enough to elicit a bubbling reaction except in the softest of calcium, like limestone.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm sure you know much more about rocks than I do, but everything I read says granite is ok. Some sites etc. even advise to use it.
I believe you, but I wonder why there is so much info saying the opposite?
Also, calcium is good, but these would give too high of levels?

I wish I had more of the igneous pictured, it's very cool looking in person. I have the pieces laying down to get maximum film coverage. Also some of the best ones are in my CRS/CBS tank, & I don't want to disturb them lol all No-Entrys, with some SSS too. Eggs making me happy :D

I'm gonna get a better picture of the last one today, it really looks different than my horrible picture.

#5 ·
So after searching the internet, then just searching these forums, I have found that granite for the most part is inert. :icon_roll I suspected this, but...

I still can't positively identify the 1st rock (1st 2 pics), &/or find if it is "safe". Any help is appreciated.

Also here is a slightly better shot of the last rock I'm trying to ID. The snail just got done eating the E. tenellus you see in the previous picture.

Attachments

#6 ·
That looks like a limonite or limestone - either way they will slowly leach minerals into your tank, both calcium and iron, possibly sulfur depending on region; thus raising GH and possibly pH. Treat like Texas holey rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.