Title TBD later, too excited to think right now! Metaframe!! Pic heavy! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks like a lot of fun. What is the stand made out of?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looks like a lot of fun. What is the stand made out of?
1/16" thick steel. The pieces of it are in the last picture. It's got 2 solid shelves and 4 cornered legs that bolt on.

I want to strip the paint completely off and work on getting the surface rust off. Then my husband was thinking a wax might be a good sealant that will help stop rust but won't be cheesy looking like if I were to spray clear coat on it.
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
anubiasnick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great find ! I would be doing cartwheels if got my hands on one of those beuats!
  • My tanks are enviroments for their inhabitants NOT over sized ,chemical ridden,ever changing "aesthetically pleasing " coffins . take your time people ,dont rush it. its nature and it will balance and prosper just leave it alone a while!
anubiasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow that's awesome! I never seen one of these or even heard of this style of tank. It is gorgeous! Sounds like your going to have a blast getting this one decorated!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
krandall@rdrcpa.biz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

There were LOTS of tropical fish available when these tanks were made. There were also many more plants than Vals available, and they were things that grew fine in low light, non-CO2 tanks.

You might want to choose something like a nice strain of old fashioned green swordtails.

Here is a photo from the 1930's of a tank kept by one of our early BAS members:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eugenia Shorrock 1930's.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	57642  

krandall@rdrcpa.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
1/16" thick steel. The pieces of it are in the last picture. It's got 2 solid shelves and 4 cornered legs that bolt on.

I want to strip the paint completely off and work on getting the surface rust off. Then my husband was thinking a wax might be a good sealant that will help stop rust but won't be cheesy looking like if I were to spray clear coat on it.
I would look at having the stand powdercoated. I had mine done in a nice satin black.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

it is most likely a 29g, I have about 6 of them just like this (thought not in as good condition).

There are scads of fish you could choose from, I will dig through some of my books to make some recommendations on reading material for you. You can always see if any fish magazine archives are available from then at your local library- could be a really fun project
msjinkzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Jayme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall@rdrcpa.biz View Post
There were LOTS of tropical fish available when these tanks were made. There were also many more plants than Vals available, and they were things that grew fine in low light, non-CO2 tanks.

You might want to choose something like a nice strain of old fashioned green swordtails.

Here is a photo from the 1930's of a tank kept by one of our early BAS members:
That's great! I've been trying to find pictures like this but of course they are hard to come by online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
I would look at having the stand powdercoated. I had mine done in a nice satin black.
I thought about that, I'll have to look into it more and see what kind of options are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
it is most likely a 29g, I have about 6 of them just like this (thought not in as good condition).

There are scads of fish you could choose from, I will dig through some of my books to make some recommendations on reading material for you. You can always see if any fish magazine archives are available from then at your local library- could be a really fun project
That would be awesome, thanks!

My grandma was a librarian and loves the library, I'll have to tag along with her sometime so I can check out some books on her card. It's been a while since I've been to the library since we have been out of the area with no card for a while. I haven't been to the library here in town, I got so spoiled with the big one about 30 minutes away, I should check it out sometime though.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
Jayme
Planted Member

I've been doing a decent amount of reading online and although I would LOVE to have Angelfish in this tank it sounds like it's too short for them, and our water might not be ideal. So I guess African Cichlids would be my next options due to our tap water perams.

I've been doing some reading about them but there are SO many. Any ideas or recommendations?

I'm thinking I might try a biotope aquarium but not sure what the plant options would be, I guess that would depend on the type of African Cichlid...

So I guess the first step is which fish to stock!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
Since I won't be painting the back of this tank I'll have to get more creative with hiding equipment and get nicer intake/outflow/tubing.
I use silk fabric. I wrap it over the edges of cardboard and tape it to the back with duck tape. I get 1/2 yard for a few dollars for my 29 G, which 30in L x 18H.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metaframe