The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone breed dart frogs?

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  assasin6547 
#1 ·
Anyone breed dart frogs?

#4 ·
Before I got into shrimp I was breeding Darts. The tads are pretty easy to raise. Probably the only issue I had was making sure I had food on hand at all times. At one point I was raising two different types of fruit flies, Wax worms, some kind of beetles, and getting crickets for them. I even went as far as getting termites for them when I could find them. All in all I had 8 different species in a 6 year time frame. Got all but one to species to breed.

#5 ·
I don't breed them, I LICK them...:icon_eek:

Tommy

#8 ·
Great timing with this thread!

This morning at work, I saw that the dart frog exhibit had some tadpoles. I'm used to seeing amphibian eggs in pools of water, but these were on the leaves of a plant about halfway up the tank. Each tadpole had (what looked like) its' own drop of water to develop in. I don't have a lot of herp knowledge, but it was really cool to see.

#10 ·
I tried keeping them but they didn't last long. Unfortunately it seemed that I received sick frogs from the start and despite getting several different meds from a herp vet, I couldn't get them to pull through. Disheartened I didn't try again. Sucks to cause I put a lot of work and money in the setup. Here's a shot of their 75 gallon home...

#11 ·
Nubster that is an amazing setup. Do you still have the tank setup? If so you should try again, it looks like a great home for darts.

No but I know someone that does breed. I forgot the name as it has been a while, but they are the common blue. Starts with an a I believe. I can get them really cheap though, so I want to have them in the future.

#16 ·
Nubster that is an amazing setup. Do you still have the tank setup? If so you should try again, it looks like a great home for darts.

No but I know someone that does breed. I forgot the name as it has been a while, but they are the common blue. Starts with an a I believe. I can get them really cheap though, so I want to have them in the future.
Those would probably be Azureus, beautiful frogs.

#14 ·
I just got into darts about a year ago. They havent started breeding yet but are well on the way :)

The bugs arent much of a problem, but then again im only doing fruit flies and springtails. My isopod culture kind of crashed.

Great timing with this thread!

This morning at work, I saw that the dart frog exhibit had some tadpoles. I'm used to seeing amphibian eggs in pools of water, but these were on the leaves of a plant about halfway up the tank. Each tadpole had (what looked like) its' own drop of water to develop in. I don't have a lot of herp knowledge, but it was really cool to see.
Depending on the species some eggs will be laid on leaves and then the tadpoles moved to water when they hatch. Its pretty neat to watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrw8mSZd34

#19 ·
I've been breeding Azureus for about a year now. It's surprisingly easy.

You actually do have to scrape the glass from algae every once and a while. My favorite part is how easy the plants are to care for. Snails often find there way into the viv, but it is usually beneficial to have them. The diseases that the frogs can get are often fatal. A diseased frog is more often than not a weak frog. It is usually better in the long run if they get eliminated from a disease rather than stick around because the owner is fighting for them. As long as the frog is healthy it won't catch a disease or infection and a healthy frog is very easily achieved.
If you want to get into the hobby make sure to get an account on Dendroboard. I've seen and received amazing and helpful advice from the people on the forum. I can also hook you up with some frogs if you have a vivarium ready for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.