The Planted Tank Forum banner

A lonely Tree 4 gallon bowl, now with clown kilies,

17K views 95 replies 25 participants last post by  Chris_Produces 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated. @@@@ new scape pics last page,,,Big thanks to newman for his awesome bowl which inspired me to start my own..

New scape,

Hi guys so i am a newbie here and saw newman planted bowl and i had a bowl lying around so though what the heck i will try something as newman planted bowl.
Tank: Its a bowl 4 gallon:icon_smil
Lighting is ikea table lamp says 7W equals 40 W or something CFl i thing as its spiral.
Substrate is:ADA aqua soil + a mix of gravel , just a tiny bit.
Starting my bowl as a DSM (Dry Start Method).
Plants: Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and i thinks its micro sword plant and also Green Pennywort + One driftwood.
Inhabitants would be just shrimps.

Day 1 . mixed ada soil and then topped up with some gravel. filled up with water and then emptied it to take out excessive nutrients.

Then added Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and sword plant. Also kept my driftwood in the bowl so that i know what space i have and where can i plant.

so pics now will keep updated.

let me know what you think or if my lights are ok or anything that would help me.:icon_smil
Pics:

See less See more
#66 ·
Newman , the frogbit or whatever the floaters are apparently this time there are growing real well. i can see new leave coming out. Does that mean anything, :icon_bigg i think if nitrates are in your tank floaters grow pretty well as they absorbs the nitrates. am i right???

#70 ·
Re: A lonely Tree 4 gallon bowl.

Agree with Newman, just another question, cyno appears due to lack of water movement (most of the time ) so If we put decent amt of shrimps, wouldn't it help overcome cyno, due to shrimps constantly moving around. Even some fish...????any thoughts...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

#71 ·
it probably will not help too much. even if you have an airstone in a bowl like this, you're still likely going to get cyano at some point in its life. its one of those algae stages that come and go. I happened to get cladophora after i was through with cyano haha! but after i got past that final wave, I had nothing. clean bowl.

#74 ·

Some more pics, just wanted to show stargrass pics, its looks so awesome, sadly my current bulb got fused so had to replace it with one of the old warmer light, so bowl dosent look that great but I love the stargrass..

Attachments

#78 ·

Thanks idleivey, now a question for anyone who can give some suggestions, I m moving house in 10 days, how do I transport my bowl with water, if I take the water out then will loose my beneficial bacteria. If I leave half to quarter of water then it will get all muddy by the time I get to my new home . What to do ????.:eek::confused::confused:

#85 ·

Some more pics, till now clown panchax doing really well, they wait for me to come home n feed them.they are sooo cool, they all come running towards me when I m near the bowl...

Attachments

#87 ·
Been a long while i updated anything, been very busy with RL. update to my bowl is my initial shrimps were all dead, then lost interest and gave 2 clown killies to my mate and kept 2. one of them died soon and 1 clown is still alive and kicking.I always wanted to see if an otto can live happily. so bought an otto fish an year ago and he is still alive and kicking. straight after that introduced 13 dwarf rasboras and till now they are all alive and kicking. the mistake i made was i never put any heater and the place where i live can get extremely cold in winter. I think the main reason that my fishes and shrimps died was due to fluctuation in water temp. So bought a small heater and then introduced my otto and rasboras and none of them died till now. I could be wrong but that's what i could think of. and also mybowl has matured. still got plenty of algae and i recently added a filter(2 weeks ago). i think my otto love his algae so never bothered doing any treatments. i havejust uploaded a video in you tube. will try to put the link here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.