The Planted Tank Forum banner

Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing

102K views 121 replies 56 participants last post by  jacko5 
#1 ·
I am planning on ordering Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing. Right now I dose 10ml/day of Excell in my 55g. How much 100% Metracid do I need to dose to match the Excel dosing. Also do you know if it's safe to overdose Metricid a little? Thank you.

#77 ·
I'm thinking that the exp date on Metricide is for medical use - after that date they wouldn't guarantee it's sterilization properties.

I would still use it, but others will disagree.

I've actually kicked WAY back on my usage - down to a half dose once a week. Just an experiment to see if some of the plants I've had trouble with will grow. (Swords and stuff. Don't have any true jungle vals left, but some smaller val-like 'grasses' seem to be perking up with less) If I ever boost the lights I might have to kick it up again.

PS: I've been using Metricide in one tank and 'real' excel in the small tank - both seem to respond the same.

#78 ·
PS: I've been using Metricide in one tank and 'real' excel in the small tank - both seem to respond the same.
Metricide is amazing. I had recently a bad hair algae growing in my moss wall and and it just hard to remove. The moss comes along when I tried to pull them out. I dose as much as 30ml everyday on my 20 and they are slowly vanishing.

I just bought another gal. last night on eebay for a great deal $20 shipped. Check out "other site" thread for the item no.

Sent from HTC One device using Tapatalk2

#80 ·
IS there any negative effects of dosing a medium light low tech tank?
As with many other things, if overdosed, it can be harmful.

Is it shrimp safe? I don't think i would dose daily.. but probably at water changes.
Yes. I have used diluted glutaraldehyde (which is what Metricide 14 is) with no problems in a shrimp aquarium.

#84 ·
There is a dosing calculator that you can find quite easily online.

You can also use the formula m1v1 = m2v2 (the calculator uses the same formula) to determine how much you need to dose.

m1 = concentration of first chemical
v1 = volume of first chemical
m2 = concentration of second chemical
v2 = volume of second chemical

With the concentrations of Excel and Metricide 14 being known (as well as the normal dosing rates for Excel), solving the volume of Metricide 14 to dose becomes a routine algebraic exercise.

#85 ·
So, here is a question, and I apologize if this has been asked and answered a million times already: If it is now known what Excel is (glutaraldehyde) and if Seachem has no patent on it, how come we are not seeing a) an explosion of glutaraldehyde products in the aquarium market (after all, there must be a dozen different dechlorinators that do all the same thing), and b) why is the price of Excel not going down?

#90 · (Edited)
Metricide 14 Dosing

I wanna use metricide 14 undiluted n flourish in my 5gal custom tank I have flame moss pennywort, 3 swords (small ones), 2 jungle vals, 4 stems of myro matt, for fish I have 2 Cory cats, 10 rili n 5 red shrimp, an a bunch of guppies. Question is how much metricide to use every other day? I never used flourish excel so I don't know how excel to dose unless its the same instructions on both flourish and flourish excel?

#105 ·
I bought from that seller on ebay, advertised metricide, I got omnicide. It isnt the same omnicide has a rust inhibitor added that metricide doesnt. Omnicide also smells like mint. I had been adding a little extra, not over dosing but about 8ml a day in my 58 as my CO2 was running low and my bubble count wasnt as high. Lights came on and I see a ton of snails and shrimp at the top and several dead shrimp.

My point is there is for sure something else in it, Ive used merticide and only had it kill and stress when I really overdosed. Use omnicide only at regular levels.

#106 ·
Just saw this thread and would like to share the Glut product I recently purchased from e-b-a-y... If you can get a hold of Pro-Advantage by NDC product (they have 14 and 28 days as well), that's the same as Metrex Metricide... I checked and confirmed with Metrex that they private labeled this for them and MSDS-wise, they're identical (like xerox copy)... The best part, I only paid ~$20 shipped for a gallon...

Here's what it looks like for reference (the pic shows the 28 day product)

#111 ·
No, the 28 has soaps (surfactants) added to make it last longer as a disinfectant - great for the tattoo guy, not so good for your tank. The 14 has no soap added, and if you find some DON'T use the little bottle of "activator" tha t comes with it - you just want the main bottle.

#113 ·
Pro-Advantage by NCD (formerly called Omnicide) is same as Metricide just different name .. maybe search for either of those names. It could even be called something different in UK.

But as mentioned don't get the 28 day of it either .. same exact thing as Metricide 28, it has surfactants & rust inhibitor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.