The Planted Tank Forum banner

Excel and algae

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ekaterina 
#1 ·
55 gal low tech
I have been reading on dosages of Excel to combat algae. Frankly, they are all over the place. From 4 times recommended dosage on down.
Any ideas as to a safe starting point. Say, enough to zap my hair algae but not zombieze my fish or nuke my other plants.
Thanks

#2 ·
2x is usually a safe starting point. Work your way up slowly from there if you don't see the desired results, and back off at the first sign of trouble.

Better yet, if you have only a few trouble spots, shut off the filters for a few minutes and squirt Excel directly on the algae with a syringe. This lets you hit it with a super-concentrated dose, while not overdosing the entire tank so much.

#3 ·
Focus on what other things the plants need, not what kills algae, this will help.
also, focus on light, how much are you adding? More is worse than less.

If you focus on the plants, then their needs are met and algae is nothing more than minor nuisance at worse.

Light, CO2/Excel and nutrients. Stick with those.

Regards,
Tom Barr

#4 ·
That's exactly what I have been doing for 6 months. All nutrients that I can test for, including potassium are dialed right in to the desired concentrations. I have played and tested with the light until I think they are just the right height and just the right photo period. I say all this because in each case I have beaten back what minor algae was showing up.
This is a low tech forum so it goes without saying I don't want CO2.
Being low tech I find that my nutrients, mainly nitrate and phosphorous maintain their levels for about 10 days. Every two weeks is 30% water change and what dosage I need.
As to the Excel I only asked because I am starting to get persistent hair algae. Sometimes, believe it or not, the answer is something other than "check you nutrients and light"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.