The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY - Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 40" x 40" x 28" - 185 Gal

116K views 140 replies 67 participants last post by  majerah1 
#1 ·
Good day to Europe, I am French more precisely, i'm 26 (in advance thank you to forgive me for my English aproximatif, I use an online translator). :tongue:

I developed a certain passion for the world of paludariums, I love to imagine and create sets each time different and unique. Thank you to nature for inspiration innépuisable she gives me every time.

I have long wanted to share my creations. I am the author of the project entitled "Waterfall Paludarium" you may have seen on youtube also : Waterfall Paludarium HD 1080p - YouTube

Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Waterfall Paludarium (Project completed)

--------------------

And I now work for several months on a new project I titled Island Paludarium 360°. I was eager to introduce him.
Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Island Paludarium 360 ° (New Project)

Presentation of the New Project

Project status : Under construction
Type : Paludarium
Size of the tank : 40" x 40" x 28"
NET volume of the tank : 185 Gallon
Closed : Yes
Materials : 8mm glass tank, gallery and wooden furniture OSB
Lightning : 100% LEDs 9x30W
Aeration : Two PC fans (12cmx12cm)
Irrigation : A pump 1300L/h for the system of rain
Cascade/waterfall : A pump 2000L/h
Wave system : Vibration pump 5000L/h
Fogger/mist : 3 Fogger in the waterfall
Type of water : 100% rainwater (not limestone)
Type of scene : Natural & Artificial : Natural Seychelles sand, polyurethane foam rocks covered with waterproof mortar and acrylic paint, driftwood branch, artificial vines
Plants : Terrestrial and epiphytic (gardenia, frangipani, vanilla, ferns, orchids, tillandsia, ficus, helxine, moss)
Planting technique/substrate : Felt geotextile (kept wet by rain system)
Animals : Land hermit crabs (Pagou), drosophila for the atmosphere "gnats", probably snails (Neritina), and can be Agalychnis callidryas and crickets
Height of water : 5 in or 35 gal
TOTAL weight : Approximately 550 lb (including water)
Next step : Getting water, system rain creation, waves, waterfall, and mist

For this third project is an island 360° that I will realize, the tank is glass 8mm thick and 100cm fully closed side, the Seychelles natural sand will form a small island strewn with boulders, covered vegetation, driftwood branches and vines falling from the ceiling fill the space, and will be covered with orchids and moss (lots of moss).

Side vegetation, I will try with specific plants such as frangipani with its beautiful yellow flowers and the famous Flower of Gardenia Tiare Tahitensis, as usual with a database of several varieties of ferns and orchids Vanilla is climbing).

A system of artificial climate will be set up to recreate the rain (and therefore the natural watering of all plants by this technique), the waves will also fail on the outskirts of the island through a pump vibration and the wind that will provide aeration and naturally move the foliage.

For lighting, we go for the 100% LED, ie "High power" of the 30W unit, there will 9x30W ... I would also like to thank kdj2 a parallel forum for his very constructive post on its tests of these LEDs. I left without him definitely on turbo neon. However I have not yet done so to test for these LEDs there, but it will spend the time comes.

Plants :
Frangipani Plumeria rubra Yellow, Gardenia Tahitensis "Tiare Flower", Orchid Vanilla planifolia,
A dozen mini Orchids varied Driopteris atrata Fern, Ficus Ginseng
Fern Polypodium vulgare, Blechnum fern spicant, Tillandsia Brachycaulus,
Tillandsia Butzii, Areca palm, Ficus punctata Helxine, moss.​

See less See more
#2 ·
3D modeling project

Place in 3D models, which will give you one idea on the whole project.
(All is not modeled, and I leave much of a surprise when the final result by excluding certain visual aspects in the modeling)...

The dimensions of the tank : 40" wide x 40" long x 28" high.
(The can serves as a marker size).

The wooden furniture and the gallery will be painted matt black, highlighted with golden finish corners.

In the gallery we see the 9 LED heat sinks, and two small fans (in the corners but not visible in photo) that will provide aeration of the tank and the effect of "light breeze on vegetation".

The islet, rocks, rain (which falls directly off the ceiling)
and a portion of the vines / branches, without the plant part.

Another view without rain.

To compare the volume that will take this new project, I have superimposed the previous "Waterfall Paludarium".
It is completely embraced in the new volume. Even go back there twice.

Superimposing the 3D tank at real size, in a picture to better understand the proportions.

#3 ·
Creation of the Gallery

Wuhu, we go for the new Adventure!
After 9 months of preparation and mature reflection, I am ready to develop this third project.

Work began, I started assembling the gallery, here in the photo.

Painting gallery in black.

#4 ·
Creation of the furniture

The furniture is now assembled, have yet to paint it.
I do not know if the dimensions make the same impression, but it's very ... BIG !

Painting the furniture black.

We can see the plate of extruded polystyrene installed on the furniture, to receive the tank.
I will create (later) two doors to close the furniture, or will install two small black curtains, I see.

#5 ·
Creation of the Glass Tank

A large stage is passed, ouf !!! It is not easy this story .... But the tank is standing !!!

Silicone freshly put

There are more than wait until everything dries quietly in a week I do the water test.

Next step : Getting water, system rain creation, waves, waterfall, and mist

Following soon. :tongue:

#11 ·
Is it to late to change the color of the stand? A cream color, or something that clashes less with the decor of the room might be more appeasing to the eye. The room this tank is being placed in clashes with the black of the stand. Just my personal interpretation.

#13 ·
It's your tank, a lighter color would look better...but regardless Im subscribed. This is going to be a fun one.

#18 ·
Getting water

The seals of the tank having been much time to dry, it's time to put the water to start preparing the implementation of the various systems that generate the climate, and there to work !

No water leak was found so far.

Next step : System rain creation.

Following soon. ;)

#22 ·
Thanks you :proud:

Angles to finish the 24k gold leaf

Initially I wanted to paint the aluminum angle iron bomb "golden" for the golden effect, but in view of the result of said paint (what I expected) it proves to be very disappointing.

So I decided to take one at a corner, the 24 carat gold leaf. The result is now more than appointment. :icon_twis

A little comparison to illustrate my point :

#1 The left stick has not been worked, it is aluminum.
#2 The middle is spray-painted "golden" trade.
#3 And finally the last is plated 24K gold.

Overview angles gilded with 24 carat gold leaf.

Next step : System rain creation.

Following soon.

#27 ·
Your 3D rendering and work on your previous tank was amazing. It was really nice seeing the progression pics, including how you build the entire tank walls yourself! I'm really going to look forwards to see how this turns out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.