The Planted Tank Forum banner

I've never seen a CO2 kit like this before -- Petco

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  clang 
#1 ·
So I was at petco today grabbing a light bulb for my 10 gallon and I noticed this on the shelf:

It says that it lasts 3 months in a 20 gallon tank and the refill packet sets are 3 for like $10

Has anyone seen this before? Is something like this viable or a sham?

See less See more
#8 ·
I just couldn't get over the price either....

Have you seen those "disposable" co2 kits wow they are crazy expensive, you can make a complete paintball setup for the cost of one of those

#9 ·
I have this exact CO2 setup on my 20g. It works perfectly fine. I did replace the diffuser ladder with a glass diffuser. The glass diffuser produces finer bubbles. In reality, you are paying for a very sturdy heavy plastic container and proper CO2 tubing. I do not use the packets but instead mix my own yeast - baking soda - sugar - water mixture. It does not last for three months. Closer to one week, sometimes two. I am not interested too much in DIY projects so this was perfect for my modest set up.

#10 ·
I have used this also. I bought it because I wanted to get a feel of what I was doing before making my own system. I used the packages that came with the kit, then I used recipes found online. One thing though, do not buy it from Petco. It is SOOOO much cheaper at Amazon. Right now its $23.18. Just the ladder is $16.75. I thought buying the whole thing was less expensive.

#11 ·
I bought this system when it was on clearance for $3. It worked great in my 10g. But then the DIY mixture got old after about a month and I went pressurized.

The ladder worked well. My only surface agitation was from a sponge filter airstone..

#14 ·
wow I didn't expect so many replies :)

if It was on clearance for $3 I would of picked it up but for $40 I think I'll let it sit there

I was kind of sad, my ulterior motive for going in was to try to offer the manager a price on an acrylic tank that had been sitting back there on markdown for forever, I was going to offer $40 for it but it was gone...which is prob for the best I would of been in trouble lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.