The Planted Tank Forum banner

Exotic Aquarium - Oto's

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sbarbee54 
#1 ·
I just picked up some Otocinclus catfish at Exotic. They had 2 tanks with them in it, one with just a few, and one with maybe 50 of them. When I asked for them the clerk told me the tank with 50 or so had fish that were delivered yesterday -at least 6 dead ones were in there, plus a few who looked distressed. He recommended not getting any of those, but to get the few in the other tank, over a week in the store.

I really appreciated this, because I hadn't even seen the tank with the few in it and was expecting to have to watch carefully so I wouldn't be getting near dead ones. Apparently there is a high mortality rate on Otos when they first arrive at the store, something I have read here before. Three cheers for Exotic! :bounce:

#3 · (Edited)
I work at a LFS and it is common for Otos to perish soon after transport, unfortunately. Kudos to them for also not mixing the new shipment with the old and keeping the quarantines separate! I've known many LFS to not do such a thing, which is a shame. Congrats on healthy Otos! :)

#5 ·
Lets hope they stay open. I talked to an employee and right now they are hurting and are not ordering that many fish. Ottos, cardinals, and rummies all come from a different supplier because thats all they are selling.

Exotic is old school and used to be on florin road across the street from home depot. They expanded and now are on franklin blvd in a HUGE warehouse.

Unfortunatly capital aquarium closed down.

#11 ·
I bought four from there a couple weeks ago. One died, but I'm sure it was stressed from shipping/the drive home. The other three are alive, fat, and content.

I was hesitant because Exotic's plants/corals have gone downhill drastically. I'm sure it's just a phase, and their livestock is still doing well enough so we check in on there from time to time.

I'm glad to hear they're holding up their end for everyone else, too. :)

#14 ·
They are going to use the Roseville one for storage and breeding projects from what I gather. They have talked about shrimp but I don't think they will venture to fresh water really. There dad is always asking me to bring some of mine down to sell, but I think they have the setup for that yet...

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.