The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting a 46 Bowfront

5K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Karackle 
#1 ·
So, my boyfriend asked me what I wanted for Xmas and I said a larger aquarium! We decided on the 46G bowfront and I pretty much have carte blanche for equipment/plants/fish. However, I don't want to deal with CO2 and I like the low tech approach.

Most of the substrate and plants are currently in my 20G and it will be switched to the 46 along with some inert black gravel to give it more depth. The 20G will become the quarantine tank.

So here are the specs so far:

Filter
Rena XP2

Lighting
Coralife 36in T5 HO

Substrate (Mix of)
Eco Complete
Floramax
Black gravel
River rocks/pebbles

Heater
Hydor 300W Inline heater

Ferts
Flourish Excel (or Metrecide14)
Root tabs (of some sort)

Flora
Najas grass
Crypt Undulata
Crypt Walkeri
Crypt Wendtii (bronze, green, red)
Hygro Difformis
Dwarf Saq
Aponogeton (of some sort)
Ludwigia Repens
Rotala Indica
And a bunch of stuff I just got from the SnS that I am going to see what survives; there was a lot of melted plants. :(

Fauna
3 Gourami (Pearl, blue or dwarf)
5/7 Cory (haven't decided what kind)
Guppies or endlers
4 Nerites
Red Cherry Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp (after the tank matures)

I'm still deciding on what fishies to get. My boyfriend wants something that looks "shark like" or has vertical stripes. Lol! Maybe some sort of small loach? Still on the fence about that, because I don't want something that will tear up my plants or harass my fishies.

Any comments or suggestions? Thank you for reading! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool! There are a few people here including myself rocking the 46. A couple of things -- if you don't want to do CO2, I would recommend changing that light to a "NO" instead of an "HO". I use a Hydor 200w on mine with absolutely no issues, so you may not need the 300 (especially being in temperate Florida -- I'm in GA).

Vertical stripes? There are some cool tetras with vertical stripes. I would recommend a couple of German Blue Rams since they are pretty punky-looking, but they would likely eat the shrimp. I don't know how shrimp-aggressive most tetras are.

Good luck & post some pics!

#4 ·
I was so happy when he said I could have a new tank. He even suggested I get a 55 or 75, but I don't think I could handle those. I can swim in either of them! Lol! Also, I really like the look of the 46. :)

I really wanted some Rams (either GBR or bolivian), but I can't find any healthy looking ones in my area. Maybe I can talk to the LFS about ordering me some...

I went with the Hydor 300 due to the pipe diameter of the filter.

#5 ·
For Xmas We decided on the 46G bowfront. However, I don't want to deal with CO2 and I like the low tech approach.

I'm still deciding on what fishies to get. My boyfriend wants something that looks "shark like" or has vertical stripes.
Yeh, another non Co2 tank! Can't wait to see it.

Perhaps a Flying fox fish or Siamese algae eater would appeal to your boyfriend. It swam like shark. The difference between the 2 is that the Flying fox has a black and yellow stripe. The Siamese algae eater only has a black stripe that goes to the end of the tail. Also the Flying fox gets bigger than the Siamese algae eater.

#6 ·
SAE isn't a bad idea! It would "look cool" and still have a positive function in my tank(eating algae). Thanks Hilde. :)

We were supposed to go get the tank today, but he has to work. Maybe next weekend; and hopefully it will be on sale. :)

#21 ·
What about a roseline barb.i love mine!
Exactly what I was thinking! My wife has 6 in her 90g and they are very cool fish! Always swimming together. How about a Red Tail shark? There's the shark for your BF! I can hear the theme to 'Jaws' right now! :icon_mrgr

#11 ·
Rams need good quality water. So if you want to get them I would wait awhile.
+2 and even sometimes that isn't the case.get your rams from a private breeder that are raised in harder tap water they ate easier to raise and acclimate and maybe breed.aquabid is a great place to start.I'm always on it

#12 ·
Yay for more low tech (no CO2) tanks!!! Can't wait to see this develop! :)

Just as an FYI, most siamese algae eaters that are sold are a) not actually algae eaters abd b) get HUGE...it takes a while, but they get large.

There are some other fish out there that might fulfill your boyfriend's desires though. Of course at the moment i'm drawing a complete blank (though the roseline barbs mentioned might be a good choice) but I am sure someone else will think of something for you ;)

#13 ·
I'm still fuzzy on what sort of fish to get, but that will be a while yet, I doubt I'll be putting any fish in there till next year. Also, I want to get a red cherry shrimp colony going before I add too many fish. I've got some good LFS in the area, so I'm hoping I can find some nice healthy fish. I haven't been to Westside Aquarium & Pets, I'll have to check it out.

I think my boyfriend is going to order the equipment soon, I'm so excited! Probably going to get a huge shipment from Foster & Smith. :D

#16 ·
Got the stand and lights today! Going to get the tank later tonight. All the other accessories should be coming tomorrow. I'm so excited about this setup! :D

PS: I put the stand together all by myself (even with a busted thumb!). I'm so proud of myself.

#17 ·
I have the tank, lights and stand. I was supposed to get everything else today, but as it was out for delivery this popped up in the tracking: Delivery exception Returned to facility for inspection. I hope that doesn't mean they dropped it. :( It has my filter, Excel, water conditioner, bag of EcoComplete, python and root tabs. Now I have to wait till Monday to put together my tank.

#20 ·
Once I ordered sand and some Reef supplies and I received the same message. Here they packed the heavy sand in the same box with the other liquid bottles and they started to leak. I bet your excel, or water conditioner was leaking so they have to open the carton to check for damage.

I know it sucks, fig they ship gravel/sand by itself.

#22 ·
When we went to the store to get the tank, we looked at a bunch of different fish for him. I think he likes the red tail shark. I hope it won't be too aggressive for the other inhabitants of my tank. I really like the roseline barbs, maybe I'll get some for myself. :D

I really hope the liquid didn't start leaking. Hopefully Foster & Smith will replace anything that got damaged. :( At least now the tracking says that it will be delivered next business day.

#23 ·
Red tails seem to be decent community fish, so long as they aren't kept with other similar looking inhabitants. Any dark colored fish, or fish with red on them. The redtails, however, are more aggressive then the same type of shark with red on all their fins, IMO. This is just what I've seen, and read though.

I hope everything arrives intact!

#27 ·
A shark isn't necessary, but it's a condition of me getting the tank that my boyfriend gets to choose a fish. He wants all of the enjoyment and none of the work. lol

He also liked black mollies, so maybe he's attracted to black fish? Oh well, my fish will be introduced first and then we'll figure out his fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.