Flora: Dwarf Sag, Flame Moss, Annibus & Drift Wood
Fauna: Betta, Mystery Snail, & 5 Ghost Shrimp

Picture Time:

View attachment 59242
View attachment 59243
View attachment 59246
View attachment 59244
View attachment 59245

I was excited to introduce my Betta to his new friends yesterday although I was a little bit weary at first. I put 5 ghost shrimp in there with him but I've read that the Betta could eat them all or choke and die. My Betta however, seems to leave them alone for the most part although he is very interested in what they are up too.

I put a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter on the end of the intake of my Red Sea Nano to stop the shrimp from getting sucked inside the filter. This pre-filter works perfect. I was getting tired of making my own pre-filters out of left over sponge.

Please leave and suggestions or comments. Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the comment and suggestions everyone.

The Betta and Ghost Shrimp have an interesting relationship lol. As of right now, the Betta will watch this shirmp making them back up but not bit them. Also, the shrimp will swim right into the Betta when he isn't paying attention. I'll have to keep my eye on them. I would hate to have the shrimps eaten or shreading the fins of my Betta; however, if they do get eaten I can always get some more shrimp. Super cheap @ .49/shrimp at Petco.

I have a lot more Dwarf Sag I could fill in places. In about 1 month from now, I will have more Christmas Moss then I will know what to do with. Maybe I could add these plants to this tank but for now I'm going to wait and see what happens.

#10 ·
That's a really good idea! Ghost shrimp are so hard to see.

I heard you can't mix ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp since ghost shrimp can be territorial
Hmmm, I'll have to research the mixing of shrimp before I add RCS to the mix.

Nice tank! & thanks for giving the betta a better home. Hate seeing them in tiny cups
Yeah, thanks. He seems to be much happier in his new home.

#12 ·
Yeah thanks I do too! I set the sag leaves in the annibus and over the driftwood on purpose. It kinda took awhile because its hard to work in those nanos.

#13 ·
My ghost shrimp I had with my betta steals his food, it's hilarious. I eventually moved my ghost shrimp to another tank, but man did he like to mess with my betta. Eventually Lord Baelish would steal the food back, it was a chase around the tank to see who would finish eating the food first!

#14 ·
There is a white haze starting to form in this aquarium. It's covering the aquarium walls and some of the plants.

I want to say it's from the mystery snail slim but I'm not sure.

What should I do?

#15 ·
The white haze has started to reseed a bit, but the plants are starting to turn brown and melt away.

I wonder if this is due to lack of light or just the fact that they are going through a transitional period...

#20 · (Edited)
Picture Update [1.6.13]

I need help identifying the plants reveaeled in the photos below.

I have already identified the following plants:

Flame Moss
Frogbit
Dwarf Sag
Annibus

The plants I need help identifying are in the back left hand side of the tank. The second picture below is a close up of these plants.

They came in a bulb/seed pack I bought from Petco. One of the plant looks like a sword with long narrow leaves. The other is more a stem type growing long stems across the top of the aquarium and one has flowered.

>Full Tank
View attachment 62281

>Closeup picture of the plants in quiestion
View attachment 62289

>Top Shot
View attachment 62297

>Flowering Closeup
View attachment 62305

#24 ·
Nice tank! I always liked how frogbit floats around ... they look so cute! :p

I would suggest against tossing in a few RCS in there. Ghosties are territorial and will attack them. I would also keep an eye on your ghosties in case one or two turn out to be macrobrachium shrimp which will nip at Zippy's fins :(

Macrobrachium shrimp are often mistaken for ghosties at the LFS when they're young. They can grow up to 4 inches!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.