The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae ID.. This stuff is tough!

742 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Zorfox 
#1 ·
Ok so I have been battling this junk for about half a year now.. At one point I took everything out and to clean and now it's making it's appearance again.. It grows very long and attaches at a dense point to almost anything. Any idea what it is? (I think its beard algae) and how do I kill it???

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
looks to me like staghorn. but I am no expert.

do this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684.

I had a problem with staghorn (small problem) and big problem with bba. I just used the first part, the h2o2 treatment, and it got my tank 100% clean.

that was a while ago and no problems since, i did adjust light and fert schedule

If you have a bunch od staghorn then do both h2o2 and excel.

#5 ·
+1 on Staghorn. If you use pressurized CO2 try increasing it. Increasing the flow rate may help. It is also caused by too much organics so a deep clean of everything will may help as well.

I had a huge staghorn problem. I kept the tank immaculate, my flow was actually too strong and my CO2 drop checker was always yellow. Excel seemed totally ineffective as well as peroxide spot treatments. I finally followed the suggestion above. It was all killed, happy days. Well as expected it came back. I finally quit using DYI CO2. Guess whats gone now. The staghorn and BBA. I won't be using DYI CO2 ever again. I think it causes more problems than it corrects. Just my own experiences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.