The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter need help with parts

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
I wanted to customize my filtration by having 2 intake tubes (inlet pipes) that leads to one tube and back into the canister filter again.

Basically an inlet pipe on each side of the tank that meets in the middle into one tube. I know I need some kind of a "y" connector. Can someone link me to the part I will need?

I am also going to need another inlet pipe. I'm not sure where to start looking. I checked on eBay for the inlet pipes but I'm not sure where to start to look for the y connector

#2 ·
A "Y" is exactly what you need. There is nothing special to it, just make sure you get one that fits the diameter of your tubing.

For the extra intake pipe, your LFS and eBay are as good as any a place to start looking.

#10 ·
The flow rate can , in theory, be different but not much in this case. The flow from more water in the intake will just be ignored as it is balanced with the output side. If you shut the filter off, it just sits there. The impeller is what controls the flow.

For a more practical way to get the tubing and fittings, I would go to the home center for CPVC pipe. CPVC rather than PVC for the smaller size. Els,tees, and caps are 1/10 the price of tubing and much easier/cheaper to fit together and in place since they are solid. Paint it any color you like. Once designed, the intake can be as simple as slots cut in the pipe with a hacksaw. Join them together and then fit the tubing to it. You can do the same with the outlet if you wish.

#12 ·
In fittings of most common types, "Y" is less common than "tee". There may be Some but I don't see them as often. When I do tank plumbing, I want it to run around the tank top out of sight more often. This doesn't work as well with a y so I've never spent much time looking for y"s .

#17 ·
Yeah all I'm really trying to do is get water movement in my tank. I posted my tank in tank journals incase anyone wanted to see. I came across another problem. I have my tank on a counter top and it's a really shallow tank so the stock inlet pipes won't be able to hang on the back. Is ehiems inlet pipe plastic? If not can anyone link me to a plastic inlet where I can chop it and make it fit to my tank?

#22 ·
Knowing the size is not where I start when I'm modding stuff like this. What really matters is what will fit so I cut a bit of tubing and take it along to eyeball whether it fits. There is often no reasonable way to say what will fit together due to the various wall thickness.

#23 ·
OMG so true! This drives me (a true diy'er) NUTS! No standard for nipple sizes and wall thicknesses. I keep thinking that someone could make a killing in this hobby if they just made useful sized quick connects for hoses. Fluval has their Laguna line but it's all huge.... Makes me crazy and want to chew bad things. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.