The Planted Tank Forum banner

Keep your crustaceans locked up!

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  nyxkitten 
#1 ·
So a few months ago I was at the local aquarium society's annual show/auction. While there I picked up off of one of the dealers a pair of sulawesi crabs, labelled as red devil crabs and vampire crabs. I didn't have a proper set-up for them, and bought them on a whim. After a month or so, the red devil crab died mysteriously. After a week, the other crab disappeared. I assumed it had died and someone took it out and disposed of it without telling me, so I didn't think too much of it, tore down the tank, set it up for something else. It died approximately two months ago. It's body was just found by my startled mom underneath one of the couches while she was vacuuming, intact and all, just dried out. I nearly died of laughter at her reaction! Just goes to show, keep your animals housed properly!:icon_lol:

#8 ·
My RCS tank has a large open gap in the back, with a heater cord that they could crawl out on. As far as I know, none of them have tried to escape, thankfully. o.o That's how this crab got out, I presume, as the cord went up and onto the table, then from the table idk how he ended up ten feet away under the couch, without injuring itself from the fall and/or getting attacked by the dog.

#3 ·
Reminds me of the first time one of my ADF's jumped out of the tank and we couldn't find him anywhere.. and I jokingly said "well it's not like there's a dried up frog on the floor" and my then 7 year old chimed in with "yes there is, over by the TV"... all the way across the room!

#4 ·
I've had some sneaky Dwarf CPOs (yep, those little bugs) sneak out so many times that I've started covering all openings with stainless steel mesh.

And my other half's giant hermit crab? I can't keep track of how many times it's broken free of its habitat to get picked up by the dog and carried around like a ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.