New 40B hardscape-Opinions needed - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegoalie32 View Post

Thoughts, critiques, opinions?
It's very difficult if not impossible to have two different pieces of hardscape (one rock one wood) not compete against each other for your attention (focal point). One has to support the other one. Putting the wood together is good, the the rock is way too big and sits by itself and would only distract from the wood grouping. If you want rock in there also you need to use smaller pieces and place them foreground and midground around the wood grouping so it all works together. Just my opinion from my experience scaping.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Icegoalie32
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
It's very difficult if not impossible to have two different pieces of hardscape (one rock one wood) not compete against each other for your attention (focal point). One has to support the other one. Putting the wood together is good, the the rock is way too big and sits by itself and would only distract from the wood grouping. If you want rock in there also you need to use smaller pieces and place them foreground and midground around the wood grouping so it all works together. Just my opinion from my experience scaping.
So what you're saying is lose the big rock, and put some smaller rocks around the DW. If i still want structure on the left, I need to use wood and small rocks instead of one big rock there? Or, are you saying that if I use wood structure on the left, it needs to be smaller so as not to distract from a single focal point?
Icegoalie32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
rnl19862005
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think I like this option the best. With the rock on the left it doesn't block as much of the view from the side of the tank as the drift wood.
rnl19862005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

I would either lose the rock or put it so it looks like the wood roots grew around or on top of the rock