The Planted Tank Forum banner

LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0

400K views 4K replies 300 participants last post by  Qckwzrd 
#1 ·
Hello New Yorkers,

This thread would be dedicated to let every one know what's going on with LFS (Local Fish Store). Some members of this forum started to post some updates from some of the LFS and I thought that I would be a good idea to make one specific thread that every one can look constantly.

I work near by Win Tropical and Pacific World and I would keep you guys update on their stocks. Feel free to PM is you have any particular question because I won't post every single thing that they have, but I would happy to check for you.

Please feel free to review and recommended any other store.

PD. If you find any grammar mistake or want to add more please PM me!!!

Cheers,

Jose:fish::fish:

#2 ·
03-20-09

So here is the first update...

Win Tropical

In my opinion, they have the best prices on fish and inverts in the city. They have some plants, but they are not in very good condition.

They have:

Cardinals Tetra for $1
Cherry Shrimp for $1.50
Algae Shrimp for $1.50
GBR for $6.50

Note: I bought some Algae shrimp, but they turn out to be Pale blue shrimp. If you ask the guys he would said that they are algae shrimp, but they are pale blue. I got two females carrying eggs and a couple juveniles.

#4 ·
OK, first one from me: Fishtown USA
19633 Northern Blvd, Flushing, NY‎ - (718) 539-5396‎
http://www.fishtown-usa.com/

This is the best store I know in city limits. It's not perfect, but:
- they have a lot of healthy freshwater fish, sometimes rare finds
-tanks are clean and fish that I bought from there were all in good shape
-livestock prices are in resonable level, plants, well, I've never found anything special or well priced
-that store is on a large side so it is a good place to just look around:)
-large saltwater section
Now cons:
-People working there are generally rude and don't care about you at all
-location of this store- if you don't have a car it will be PITA to get there, since there isn't any subway station nearby, only bus stops along the northern blvd
-equipment prices are generally high and they don't have good selection. What pisses me off is that they have a lot of equipment behind the desk so you have to ask the staff to take a look (and they wouldn't be happy to help you:))

Hope this helps

#3,077 ·
Fishtown USA

Honestly, If you go to different stores you will discover that their prices are for millionaires. The store is nice, but the prices are crazy. The people that work there are not very helpful at all. That is true. I went their once and will never go there again.

#5 ·
Hi Marc,

Good review, but I think you misunderstood a little. This thread is for updates to store stock, and not reviews on the stores themselves.

I think we should only post updates for three things - sales, rare finds and highly-desired finds... because I just don't care if your local Petland just bought in Mollies this week. :icon_lol:

#8 ·
Hi Marc,

Good review, but I think you misunderstood a little. This thread is for updates to store stock, and not reviews on the stores themselves.

I think we should only post updates for three things - sales, rare finds and highly-desired finds... because I just don't care if your local Petland just bought in Mollies this week. :icon_lol:
Oh yes, you're right, I'm sorry for that people. Maybe we should start new thread with NYC LFS's reviews?

#6 ·
Unless they're some new kind of super-hard to find Mollie (something like koi swordtails or high-fin platies, for example)!

Speaking of livebearers, New World Aquarium has endlers livebearers for $3.99 this week. This is the first time I've ever seen endlers in a pet store. You can get them for cheaper from hobbyists on here, though, of course.

#10 ·
Went to New World Aquarium this past Sat all they had that caught my attention was Endlers (only males :( ), they had one balloon ram and a few regular rams, and some lamp eye killie fish. So overall nothing interesting for the most part. I hop as the weather gets nice/warmer some exciting new fish will start to pop up.

#15 ·
on 3-23-09 in pacific on delancy st. they had lampeye killies and silvertip tetras, soon to be for sale christmas moss and enlder livebearers (SOON TO BE SOLD) will update when there available adn yes win tropicals has the best price hands down. He said he will get another shipment next monday with soem more cool finds and BTW one of the cherry shrimp i got has a long yellow stripe on its back and one of my so called amanos from him has got some dark hue to him almost blue looking maybe i got 2 1 offs or a tottaly different species.... gotta love new york....

#1,869 ·
on 3-23-09 in pacific on delancy st. they had lampeye killies and silvertip tetras, soon to be for sale christmas moss and enlder livebearers (SOON TO BE SOLD) will update when there available adn yes win tropicals has the best price hands down. He said he will get another shipment next monday with soem more cool finds and BTW one of the cherry shrimp i got has a long yellow stripe on its back and one of my so called amanos from him has got some dark hue to him almost blue looking maybe i got 2 1 offs or a tottaly different species.... gotta love new york....
both cases are quite normal for both species

#16 ·
Anyone ever seen pygmy corydoris in any of the lfs? Only place I seen them for sale was FranksAquarium.com (which is local for me :) )

Nazspeed did you see any lampeye prs? Or just males? Also they endlers I take it was all males?

#17 ·
Anyone ever seen pygmy corydoris in any of the lfs? Only place I seen them for sale was FranksAquarium.com (which is local for me :) )
What do you mean? FranksAquarium.com is located in NYC? Can I pickup after buying from them?

#27 ·
fishtown usa update

well i took along trip out to fishtown today and they had small neon tetras for .39 Cents. I coulndt resist brought 3 dollars worth for my brother in law who keeps nagging about his fish that he never see's. ( hes got a really big catfish that hides all the time hope he doesnt eat any of them!)He had asked me for my neons before heck he even wants to trade 3 congo tetras for my neons but i fear the congos would get shrreded by my red eyes but who knows.... also picked up 6 more cardinals for 1.50 each and 3 more big amanos for 7.00 now my tanks probalby overstocked but there all small and its only temporarry luckyly i won anther filter on ebay aquaclear 50 for 30 bucks new in box...woot!!! i tend to over filter just in case this will replace an old tetra 10 gallon HOB....this is gonna go to the shrimp tank so i can get more room in there i have a internal 10 that came with the tank witch is not really shrimp friendly.... one cherry climbed out of the tank from it to its demise...and btw i know long post!

#28 ·
I was in Royal Aqua World tonight, and they had Cherries and amanos for 1.75, and CRS for $12 each. What I found interesting was fish wise was that they had, "red eyed" round tetras, and one golden round rams. I forgot the prices, but around $3 I think.

As for Frank's aquarium, I was looking for some pygmy cories, and they seem to have them. I wonder how much does he charge for shipping? Anyone else seen them in NYC? I did read the one poster who said that he saw them in centerreach, but I'm in brooklyn and don't know if I can get my way out there.

#30 ·
I was in Royal Aqua World tonight, and they had Cherries and amanos for 1.75, and CRS for $12 each. What I found interesting was fish wise was that they had, "red eyed" round tetras, and one golden round rams. I forgot the prices, but around $3 I think.

As for Frank's aquarium, I was looking for some pygmy cories, and they seem to have them. I wonder how much does he charge for shipping? Anyone else seen them in NYC? I did read the one poster who said that he saw them in centerreach, but I'm in brooklyn and don't know if I can get my way out there.
I think I'm going to try and get some from Franks sunday/tues.

#42 ·
Staten Island.

Union Square Petco are sold out of bamboo shrimp. New shipment arrives on Weds.

Call the local Petco (for me), down by the OuterBridge and got them there. This is a new store, opened last year, located new to Home Depot. My first time there. Staff was helpful, it was clean and well stocked.

Hubby was waiting in the car didn't have time to really check it out. Much nicer than the Petland Discount on Amboy Rd in Pleasant Plains, which has steadily gone down hill since *Stacy* was transfered to the one in Hazlet, NJ.

This is in Staten Island. Don't know how many fellow Staten Islanders are TPT members. I will try to check out the major SI shops and report back.

#121 · (Edited)
Union Square Petco are sold out of bamboo shrimp. New shipment arrives on Weds.

Call the local Petco (for me), down by the OuterBridge and got them there. This is a new store, opened last year, located new to Home Depot. My first time there. Staff was helpful, it was clean and well stocked.

Hubby was waiting in the car didn't have time to really check it out. Much nicer than the Petland Discount on Amboy Rd in Pleasant Plains, which has steadily gone down hill since *Stacy* was transfered to the one in Hazlet, NJ.

This is in Staten Island. Don't know how many fellow Staten Islanders are TPT members. I will try to check out the major SI shops and report back.
Another Staten Islander here :).

Personally I am not too crazy about the Petco in Tottenville, they never seem to have anything I go in there for. I have more often found better supplies next door at the Home Depot, lol. Most of the store is dedicated to Dog and Cat stuff too, and having worked at a local pet shop, seeing all the wasted space for stupid things bothers me (they have like a 10' x 10' litter box setup so you can demo a brand of cat litter, and they have a huge dog bone shaped counter with dog treats in buckets, with the buckets spaced like a foot apart from one another. They should use all the space to stock more worthy products).

The Petland in Pleasant Plains seems to be getting better. There's a new guy in there now that has been ordering decent fish and they seem to be keeping on top of the tanks. They even setup a true brackish tank and get some oddball stuff every now and then, which keeps me going in there to check things out. Not many stores on Staten Island deal with brackish, and if they do they don't set it up properly (usually, they just throw a handful of aquarium salt in a regular FW tank and call it brackish).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.