The Planted Tank Forum banner

Good source for driftwood?

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  scott53326 
#1 ·
I'm rearranging my tank soon, and I am going to try something that I haven't seen before. I'm going to try and duplicate a walkway through a park. I’ll be using glossostigma as the grass, various plants with shades of red for the flowers (crypts and lotus?), and swords and cobabma as a forest. I want to make the walkway out of driftwood laid into the substrate that forms an “S” around the exhibits, but I can't find any small pieces of driftwood that fit the pattern I'm looking for.

Anyone know of any good places in Milwaukee to get driftwood at a reasonable price?

#6 ·
I think this is the best time of the year to get driftwood.

There are barely any native plants growing in the waterways, no bugs flying around your head, and it is not too hot outside.

I took my two kids and wife out sometime in the last week or two (It's been busy/can't remember). We stopped at a few spots where I know there is hardwood deadfall and found some really nice specimens. After about 20 minutes, my wife knew what to look for, and we had the whole radio flyer filled up. My 3 year old son fell in, and we had to go home. The wood has been siting outside to dry out so I can inspect the wood dry/sun bleached (look for any signs of decay, actually identify the wood type, etc etc).

Most of the pieces I got, are for my 55 gallon and are way too big to boil, so they will get the Walmart Rubbermaid salt soak for what it seems like an eternity, then get sunk in regular water until they are aquarium ready (tannings leach).

cya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.