The Planted Tank Forum banner

3 Gallon JBJ Iwagumi

6K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Jarek Strzechowski 
#1 · (Edited)
Read on.

#30 ·
So I guess no one loves me since I haven't gotten any replies here but I'll do another self-satisfying update anyway.

The browning on the leaves has faded and it appears that any leaves on the HC that died are kind of breaking off and the rest of it is coming back healthy. The DHG that I got grown submerged and then tried to convert to emersed for my DSM is coming back with a few bright green blades growing out. I received the rest of my Seachem products and will be starting a EI schedule tomorrow...I did a big WC today.

Ammonia is steady at 2.5ish ppm with nitrites at 0 and nitrates around 20-40 ppm which is good per the little book that came with the test kit.

I also picked up some RCS who are all looking good. When I first got them into the tank they were grey and tweaking out. They have settled in and their color has come back. It looks like one of them molted its skin and no victims yet.

My CO2 diffuser came today so I'll probably be setting up a DIY tank today or tomorrow. I also put in the heater that I originally bought since the shrimp will do better with it.

I was also looking at the zoomed 501 since the cheapo HOB that came with the tank has developed an annoying rattle and the tank is in my bedroom.

Pic of one of the shrimps

#35 ·
I tried to get my DIY co2 going with a bubble counter but it would not make enough pressure and kept leaking no matter what I did.

I hooked it up anyway and just put the bottle on the floor and made sure it was clear so that none of the yeast/saltwater can get up the hose. The diffuser filled part way with water so it's kind of like a self contained bubble counter.

Also a pic of the whole tank as it is.

I really wish I had spent more time finding the right rocks. I know of a few places to get something good but got lazy and just grabbed something from my backyard. I may try a re-scape but will probably just see how this goes for now since I would do a DSM again if i started over. All of the scapes on this channel are really cool, I like the vertical aspect going on.

The filter really churns up the substrate which sucks since my plexiglass wall to separate the hairgrass from the hc is now visible. The zoomed 501 is only 33 bux shipped on Amazon and is pretty tempting. I'm also concerned with the poor rooting of my HC. It seems like just bumping it will get it to float up. I usually just poke it back down into the substrate but only a little bit will be visible. Most of the DHG died but i see a few blades growing up. Once the weather warms up I will probably get some more to speed up the growth.

#36 ·
The filter really churns up the substrate which sucks since my plexiglass wall to separate the hairgrass from the hc is now visible.
Ya, HOB power filters tend to do that. I had one on my 3g when it was saltwater and it really churned things up. That's why I went the internal route on my freshwater adventure. The TOM ones are 45gph and small enough to not take up much room at all, but they're getting harder and harder to find. Petsmart doesn't carry them anymore. You might have to contact TOM directly if you want to know where to get one. Don't get the aqueon ones though. they are way to powerful and being internal, they just suck everything up like a vortex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.