The Planted Tank Forum banner

Loose Llanos Biotope

17K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  thebuddha 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am setting up a tank as a Christmas present for my husband (and me), and would like to do a not too strict Llanos biotope for Ram Cichlids, but would like to keep it fairly affordable.

50 Gallon with iron stand-50.00
Silicone-5.00
Black Diamond Sand x2-18.00
Leftover pieces of Manzanita-N/A
Various left over rocks-N/A
2 Phillips 6500K T8-7.00
Light strip 11.00
Contact Paper for light strip 6.00
All plants but the Oakleaf N/A
Mexican Oakleaf 3.00
[STRIKE]Aquaclear 110 57.00[/STRIKE]
Sunsun HW303B 79.00
Bubblewand 3.00
Total 182.00

We have resealed it and it's passed the leak test, so next I'll work on the hard scaping.

Lighting:
[STRIKE]I'm thinking either the sexy diamond plate shoplights from HD[/STRIKE], or just the white ones from Walmart.
2 6500 K Phillips T8

Flora: (?)
Amazon Sword
Brazillian Pennywort
Dwarf Sagitaria
Scarlet Temple
Mexican Oak Leaf
Frog's Bit
Dwarf Water Lettuce

I realize some of these may not be from the Llanos, but it is a loose version.

Fauna:
2 Rams
School of Rummy Nose Tetras
School of Cardinal Tetras
Marbled Hatchets
Checkerboard Cichlid
?

I'm thinking of keeping the temp between 82-84°F
I already have soft water so I don't have to adjust that.

I would like suggestions on a filter, I read they don't like a strong current, so I was wondering what a good filter would be for them, considering I'd like to keep the budget low end.

Thank you for your time and suggestions in advance, pics soon to come.

See less See more
#34 ·
Is it really shiny silver? I wanted to get that one, but I didn't. Which bulbs did you buy?

For nitrate I dose Stump Remover KNO3.
For phosphorus I dose Seachem Flourish Phosphorus.
For potassium I dose Morton Salt Substitute.
For micros I dose Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.
For calcium and magnesium (I use RO/DI) I dose a little bit of Seachem Reef Fusion 1, since I have it for my marine tanks already.
For KH alkalinity I dose baking soda.

#39 ·
What are your floating plants?

I want to have some in my 40B but I have quite a bit of surface movement from the filter and think they would just get tossed under water and blown around, that or smushed against the front glass. Additionally my lights are right on top of water so the plants wouldn't get any as they wouldn't stay under.

I want a mass of roots like that in my "planted quarantine" someday though : )

#40 ·
I have your exact same problem in one of my tanks. The water movement at the surface pushes the dwarf water lettuce away from the light which is a 2 bulb strip that sits directly on the glass cover. It gets very little light but is real hardy. I mainly keep it as food for the Buenos aires teteas. The prefer it over other plants in the tank. It's ugly because the roots break off from the flow and the leaves are yellow and half nibbled on, but it serves its purpose. In my smaller tank with higher light, no plant eaters and a calm surface, it grows like mad. I haven't done a water change in a month in my HEAVILY stocked 10 gallon and the nitrates are only 10ppm. I attribute that to floating plants.

#43 ·
This has got to be my most favorite tank I have ever seen! I have seen thousands!!!! Turst me! Millions! This one just has something about it that makes me stare at it everytime I come to this forum! If you don't mind, I would love to save this picture to my desktop. It is just that gorgeous!

I am wondering if you would mind telling me how you made your wooden DIY co2 expeller and the sugar and yeast? I have seen different ways through researching online, but your tank is so amazing, I think I'd like to go your route with your home-made Co2 diffuser. I am setting up another tank...this time a 75 gallon low-tech planted. I haven't gotten anything for it yet...it is just a bare tank without a top, filter light or anything else!

Anyway, thanks for sharing this gorgeous design!!!

#44 ·
Oh my! Thank you so much! What a great compliment that you would want to use it for your desktop. :D

I've actually stopped using DIY, but I bought the wood diffuser in the marine section of Petco, it's limewood I believe. The yeast and sugar was just the standard recipe in a big plastic apple juice jug.
Because the temp right now is 82-83°, I stopped using the CO2, I'm using the Brightwell Aquatics Florin-Axis, and I may have to raise the light a bit.

But as far as updates go, I took the Cockatoo Apistos out, and my stocking list is now the 18 Cardinal Tetras, and the 2 German Rams, Hans and Edelweiss.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
I'd say that things aren't growing as quickly, but it's not by much. My dwarf sag took a hit from the ich treatment, my quarantine tank was being used when I got the cichlids. It's still kind of yellow but it will grow new leaves.
I don't miss the old method, it served its purpose to grow out the plants, but I've actually lowered the light levels in my other tank and stopped using CO2 in it as well. The plants don't grow as quickly so they are more manageable. I have a zoo and several tanks, I don't like having to trim plants every week.

#47 ·
I'd say that things aren't growing as quickly, but it's not by much. My dwarf sag took a hit from the ich treatment, my quarantine tank was being used when I got the cichlids. It's still kind of yellow but it will grow new leaves.
I don't miss the old method, it served its purpose to grow out the plants, but I've actually lowered the light levels in my other tank and stopped using CO2 in it as well. The plants don't grow as quickly so they are more manageable. I have a zoo and several tanks, I don't like having to trim plants every week.

Interesting. So, perhaps when I get my planted tank started I should go with the DIY Co2 method until my plants grow out and then slowly back off with the light and and Co2? What do you think? I really would like to have it grow in quickly so I can get some Discus before next winter. But, I don't want to continue with it growing too fast so I can leave my Discus alone as much as possible once they are in their tank.
Thanks! :tongue:

#55 ·
You can do it!

Thanks for the encouragment ;) I think I will do a better job with the Discus tank than the river tank. I want both to be great, but how to pull it off with loads of water movement, I have no idea how it's gonna turn out.

Once I get my equipment I will start a build thread like you did. I would love it if you stepped in on the thread when ever you see something that IYO is not a good idea. :tongue:

#66 ·
Love the tank! Now that there is no co2, whats the growth rate like? And I thought you said you weren't having any luck with the micro swords...they look pretty healthy to me! And how long now has you tank been off of co2?

More pics also...liking this thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.