The Planted Tank Forum banner

Neptoon'd Journals a 10g Shrimp Planted Tank

641 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Neptoon'd 
#1 ·
Starting my first journal. I went and bought a 10g from Petco since the $ per Gallon sale is ending. I knew I would want something to work on this summer and start right and figured best to buy the tank now while at a great discount.:hihi:

I also bought some mopani wood while there. Just 2 medium sized pieces that are now in a bucket for the soak. I'm not sure if they will go in this tank though. I really like the look of manzanita. And I live in the land of manzanita, so I'll hike out someday and see if I can find any. Or for sure I can find some at a local wood shop for cheap. I've got some big expenses coming up this summer, so I need to do this on a budget.

For now this is just a place keeper for my ideas as it will be a slow start to this. I don't know what style of aquascape I want to create. I've just started looking into them. I do know I want to be low-light and low tech. I'm guessing this will really limit my plant options, but that's fine for now.

I have a 5g shrimp tank that I started a month back. I have just under 15 cherry shrimp in there. And there are 3 orange as well. If my understanding is correct, if the cherries and orange crossbreed I'd get brown offspring. If so, I'll cull those to put in my daughters betta tank. I bring this up because I may want to use the orange ones as a type that i keep in the 10. And then maybe a rili or one of the awesome blue strains, like velvet. I would like 3 types I think that I could keep in the 10 that wouldn't interbreed. No cherries in this new tank since I have them already in my 5g. So I'll need guidance there for sure.

I plan on purchasing some Miracle Grow Organic potting mix for the first layer of substrate. I'm not sure what will be over that. Play sand or ???

I totally appreciate any suggestions or tips that anyone has to offer. I'm fairly new to the hobby, I've only dabbled occasionally with a betta tank in the past 20yrs. But now I consider myself fairly serious, at least for a newb. :biggrin: What else could I be with 3 tanks up and one in the wings, all in my first month of this hobby?!

There will be pictures once I'm ready to start the build. But for now just imagine an empty glass standard 10g and you'll see what I've got. :wink:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.