The Planted Tank Forum banner

Macro 1:2

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  SMB 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first time trying out macro photography outside using the nikon sb-910 flash. It was hard to get most shots because it was so windy that day. I'm starting to get the hang of manual focusing with such a heavy lens. The lens I used was the Vivitar 70-210mm 3.5 lens. I don't have a tripod yet so all are hand held. No Post processing was done besides cropping and white balance because I wanted to show what this lens can offer. The contrast and color was one of the reasons I purchased this lens.

Please let me how I can improve with these pictures. I know this lens isn't a true macro lens but I will make it work.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Nice shots.
You can do excellent macro work with your lens, especially with a few relatively inexpensive additions. Get a +3 or +5 diopter filter and a set of extension tubes. That will get you some nice close images but will likely require a tripod to make them tack sharp.
One rule of thumb for flowers is find really perfect subjects or really dead ones, the in between ones don't make the best "artistic" images.
On your first image try a little more crop to get rid of the two right sided corner "triangles"; see if you like that better.
I like the flower position in the second to last image, but the background is a bit to busy.
Nice work. (Here is a 70-200mm lens with a +3 diopter and extension tube. No flash.)

Attachments

#6 ·
A lot of people say they need a dedicated macro lens to get great macro photos. While they certainly help, these photos were taken with my 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kits lens.

They aren't as sharp as they could be, but they are really decent with just a kit lens.

#11 ·
I think Kenko has a very good set and they are the ones I have used for several years. 12, 20, and 36mm for around $200. They are pretty rugged and you may be able to find a used set.
This is a 105mm Macro lens shot with just a bit of fill flash. Did not get the light on the head and the background a little to busy.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.