The Planted Tank Forum banner

flourite

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Rolo 
#1 ·
I just started getting curious about planted tanks about two months ago. I'm currently starting a new tank (75L). I understand some of the best substrate to use is flourite, however none of the crappy pet stores in my area carry it. IS there somewhere else I can find it without doing a mail order?

#9 ·
Originally posted by SNPiccolo5
If you are going to order it, then go to bigalsonline.com, they have the best price.
True, but the shipping costs of such a heavy load may offset or even outweigh any savings. If you go this route, I'd recommend you inquire by phone and see if they can get you a quote on shipping and handling costs.

#10 ·
2la brings up a good point. Most mail order companies will charge extra (real shipping cost) on heavy weight items such as substrates. You can usually figure about a dollar a pound in such cases.

The only exception that I'm aware of, is Dr Foster & Smith Petwarehouse. Even when ordering heavy items, ie substartes, normal shipping cost still apply. Even though their price is $19.99, depending on how much you order, it could be cheaper to order from them.

flourite

#11 ·
I just inquired about shipping on Flourite at BigAls and its the same as any other item. The shipping is based on dollar amount. For 3- 7kg bags the shipping comes out to $6.95. Not bad. I'm afraid that if everybody buys thier flourite from BigAls and they don't order anything else that they might change that policy though. So, if you need something else order it there so they don't get teed off.:cool:

#12 ·
Hmmm.....Maybe they got teed off already. I just checked BigAls online for flourite. It clearly says "actual shipping cost based on weight". Not only that, but the price is now $29.99 for 7 kg. !!

Maybe the person you talked to didn't know what he was talking about, or he was just feeling generous. :D

#13 ·
Well, I didn't actually talk to anybody. I placed an order online and the order was exactly what i said above. But, tonight someone from BigAls called the house and left a message on my machine and said that shipping would be $16.75 for 3 bags. $29.99 a bag???? They got it for $11.99 a bag online. The weird thing is I could swear,not even a week ago, it was $9.99 a bag online. I never ordered from them before and now I don,t think I'M GOING TO. Hmmm, Something smells fishy around here. No pun intended.:sad:

#14 ·
Either their website is all fouled up, or they can't decide what to do. I just checked them again, and now the price is back to 11.99 just as you said. But it still states "actual shipping cost based on weight". I hope you don't get stuck paying that higher price. :aah:

#15 ·
Nope, I cancelled the order for now. Got spooked...:eek:

#16 ·
I actually placed my order today... and got the price of 9.99 since I had it in my cart when it was 9.99. I called to make sure, and it is about $7 a bag shipping, but that is still only $16 per bag, including shipping, making it a better deal than the other site. I'll let y'all know when it comes...

-Tim

#18 ·
WHAT! Really?! Best news I've heard in a long time. They sell it at petsmart for $25 and I can only get florite online for $22 with shipping.

Is this their policy or did you convince someone to sell it to you at a lower price. I don't want to look like an idiot expecting them to discount $13/bag for 4 bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.