The Planted Tank Forum banner

125g high tech planted

11K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  klibs 
#1 · (Edited)
Tank - 125 gallon Marineland, 72"L x 18"W x 22"H (LAST updated January 2018)

CO2 system - Pressurized with 10lbs tank, co2 DIY reactor fed by inline atomic diffuser, Apex controller
Lighting - 2x BML dutch planted XB series 72" fixtures
Filtration - 3x 2217 eheims
UV sterilizer - 18w inline Aquatop UV sterilizer (runs at night only)
Heaters - 300w hydor ETH,
Feeder - Apex auto-feeder

Substrate - ADA Amazonia, approximately 10x 9L bags

Fauna - angels, sterbai cories, duplecareus cories, SAE, kribensis, cardinals, blue tetras

Flora - rotala rotundifolia, rotala bonsai, anubias petite, staurogyne repens, glossostigma elatinoides, cryptocoryne wendtii, limnophila aromatic, blyxa japonica, red tiger lotus, alternanthera reineckii, pogostemon erectus, bucephelandra

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful tank! Do you have a close up image of the first picture? I especially like that branch of wood sticking out, it gives the tank a tame jungle look. Do you have any pictures of your rotala rotundifolia?

Oh and, what did you end up doing with your DICI regulator? I hear the solenoid and needle valve is somewhat decent.

Hahah it's seem so long ago,

#3 ·
Beautiful tank! Do you have a close up image of the first picture? I especially like that branch of wood sticking out, it gives the tank a tame jungle look. Do you have any pictures of your rotala rotundifolia?

Oh and, what did you end up doing with your DICI regulator? I hear the solenoid and needle valve is somewhat decent.

Hahah it's seem so long ago,
Sorry, I don't have any close-ups right now, and the camera is not that good. The rotala may be indica, not sure, and the DC regulator is shelved, to be used for spare parts in a pinch. THanks

#5 ·
I love seeing tanks like this. It reminds me that there's a lot of enjoyment to be had outside of super-serious aquascaping and plant collecting, and that the hobby is really all about enjoying keeping fish and plants together when it comes down to brass tacks. I get an "old school" impression from your system that brings back fond memories. :proud:

Keep up the good work!

#8 ·
THANK YOU! Thank you for posting a scape that isn't fake and unrealistic looking. I am soo sick of seeing the scapes with a few stem plants, a carpeting of baby tears and some over-strategically placed rocks. Your scape looks realistic, healthy and not forced, like you just let nature run its course. Lovely!

#11 ·
This is beautiful. Can you share some details about the water parameters? CO2, nutrient parameters, and fert dosing schedule, and most importantly how long has it been setup with these plants. My tanks have usually run into trouble after 6 -12 months due to nutrient overload and require deep gravel cleaning to reset.

#14 ·
Thanks for the kind words to all.

The water perameters - pH of 6.8 pre co2, and 6.2 after co2 injection (sitting still for 48hrs the pH is 7.4). KH is 2, nitrates of approx 20-40, TDS is between 150-300ppm. I don’t test for nutrient parameters. I use PPS PRO dosing, total root tabs from aquariumplants.com. The tank has been setup since the summer of 2011. Next step will be to redo the substrate with all ADA amazonia, and a switch to LEDs at some point.

#26 ·
Thanks, I haven't checked this thread in awhile. But I'll be doing a complete rescape in the coming months, hopefully by the end of july. I'm getting rid of the canopy and going with an open top this time. Also, going with all ADA soil, BML xb series lights, possibly an apex controller, and some cerges reactors. But we'll see...

this tank is soooooo nice :D
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Are you injecting co2 inline from each side of the tank? You must don't have much flow with an additional power head... I'm curious as to how much co2 is injected. Bps. Do you like the ph controller?
Yes, I split one 10lbs co2 cylinder with two inline atomizers. I've also got two inline heaters. The flow is a bit reduced, but not all that much. I love the pH controller, because it gives me piece of mind. About a year ago I almost gassed all my fish when switching co2 tanks and redialing it all in. So I decided to go with a controller to avoid any future would-be calamities. I'm not sure how much co2 I'm pumping in there, but enough to get a full 1 unit drop in pH.

#25 ·
Are you injecting co2 inline from each side of the tank? You must don't have much flow with an additional power head... I'm curious as to how much co2 is injected. Bps. Do you like the ph controller?

#29 ·
I just found this thread after messaging you about this setup. As the years go but our tanks evolve! Isn't it a wonderful thing?

Wow, you went x2 bml's and an Apex! That's high tech. I'm looking to do the same thing but first need to figure out a filtration/flow/co2 distribution issue in my tank. See I've got x2 2217's, and I'm wondering how yours are positioned with the addition of a third? Sounded like you using inline atomizers which are probably a lot less restrictive than using big Reactors build.

What are your thoughts on the Apex? Does it make things any easier for you. I've been reading up on it a lot and ready to make a purchase here soon.

Love the tank man. Keep up the great work!

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments. I decided to add the apex just to make things a lot more stable, especially the co2 since i can see the daily pH reports and make small tweeks to get it where i want it to be. But I also like the option of checking on my tank from anywhere, work, on the road, on vacation etc. I've had the apex now since last summer and I still find myself checking on the tank daily, several times throughout the day. I've also got a webcam setup. The other feature i really like is the alarm emails. Mine are setup for the heater/temp, which gives me piece of mind. I also got the autofeeder setup, which i like because i can feed the fish and watch them on the webcam if i'm away from home for an extended time, and i can ensure the fish are actually eating.

As far as the filters go, I got one on either end flowing towards the middle of the tank, and another in the middle/back shooting flow towards the front. I also switched to a large DIY co2 reactor, fed by an inline atomic diffuser before it. The BMLs are my second favorite thing next to the apex. The dutch spectrum really add a lot not just to the plants but in terms of the appearance of the fish. LEDs really make the fish colors pop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.