The Planted Tank Forum banner

The solenoid valve chase, after Parker H3L

15K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  Bettatail 
#1 · (Edited)
Good news to anyone successfully land the Parker Hannifin H3L Metering valve, there is burkert solenoid available, about 1/10 of the retail, it is the model 2822, miniature solenoid and much better than the burkert 6011.

The burkert 2822 is $200+ retail, stainless steel, only made in Germany, you can't even find this model on Burkert USA website, and have to special order and ship from Germany.
it is only 2 watt power consumption, the lowest power consumption I 've seen on the 1/8" npt ported solenoid from burkert.

Actually I've been eyeing this solenoid for more than a year, only see it available recently and the seller sell it at $25.

#76 ·
I found a low watt solenoid at 0.65 or 2, model number is G2012-5-LC-C107. It's the G and GH series of Gem's solenoid.

The spec sheet has it listed with a manifold that has 1/8 ports.

MOPD: 250 psi (17 bar)
CV Range: 0.018 to 0.070
0.65 Watts to 2.0 Watts

Their site list the price at 58 dolalrs, problem is you need to buy 10. I found a local Toronto dealer but it's a 100 dollar min per order. Maybe I'll buy two.

#77 · (Edited)
Hellfish, I see the G/GH info, including the 1/8 ports, but that's the inline one (LC). Did you see info on the mounts somewhere?

It seems to be a good bit easier to find workable solenoids (assuming you know basically what you're looking for) than it is to find a mount with 1/8 ports. I'd seen the Gems name, but hadn't looked into them - thanks hellfish! - and there look to be a few options.

With that in mind, I'm still looking for a place to purchase just a mount with two 1/8 ports, and I can't seem to find one on the Gems site. Miniature mounted solenoids all seem to work the same way, with the same 10-32 stud, but they have different measurements. A mouse is .875" diameter, which is a bit bigger than the Numatics/ASCO at .73 or the Gems at .69 or .75 (it's one or the other, the schematics make my pea brain hurt). But my *guess* is that the Numatics/ASCO and Gems will work with the same mount, though the Mouse probably won't.

Anyway, Hellfish (or anybody else), lemme know if you have a place (ideally US) that will do just 1/8 mounts (without the solenoid).

Here's a source for Numatics minis, and mounts (1/8 in, 10-32 out, same as Clippard Mouse), in the US. Basic solenoid is $40, mount is $10. Shipping extra.:
http://www.airoil.com/v6/contents/en-us/d128.html

*edit* I haven't looked into it past that page, so I don't know if there's a minimum order.

But here's a .pdf for the ASCO 411:
http://www.ascovalve.com/Common/PDFFiles/Product/411_SeriesR2.pdf
And here's a .pdf for the Gems G/GH:
http://www.gemssensors.com/en/Produ...se/~/media/GemsNA/CatalogPages/GGHSeries.ashx

*edit #2*
Might as well post it here. There's a ton of useable MAC valves available on Evilbay. Just do a search for "35a-aaa" in "Business and Industrial" and cross-reference the results to the index at the end of this .pdf ...you'll have to be careful, but many of the available models that begin with "35a-aaa-d*" will work. Unfortunately, you can no longer use "*" in Evilbay, so you'll have do do either just the "35a-aaa" or make a search list of all workable model numbers. Anyway, look for all the 1.8 and 2.4 watt models. Again, check the last couple pages of the .pdf ...and the picture of what you're looking for is the first entry in the .pdf.
http://macvalves.com/Portals/97890/docs/35catalog.pdf
Plenty for $30 or less, and no need for mounts. You'll generally need a 1/8" plug for the 3rd port.

#78 ·
Kevin, show the public what to get only if you are 100% sure it works and works well.

Gems solneoid is something else, it is re-branded other brand, I don't want to give more info here because for a 10-32 mounted type solenoid, clippard mouse is the way to go.

Numatics valve corporation owns ASCO, I believe, but they are independent operated.
Mac 35 series solenoid, 2.4 watts or lower power consumption model sure can be found on evil bay, but I don't recommend it because this type of solenoid has a top relieve port, the gas can be relieve through this relief port.
what cause the problem is when the solenoid gets old, the internal seal has problem to stop leaking through relieve port once the solenoid is at power on position.
I bought, and tested them, actually the solenoids mentioned in fryinghellfish and kevmo911 previous posts, I do have them, and have more brands, models that no one has any clue. I only show what to get only if I am sure they work, work well, and there is plenty to get when the time that large quantity of certain models show up on evil bay.
so far the clippard mouse mounted type solenoid, the burkert 2822, burkert 200 series and 300 series, numatics mounted type, and some others, are positively confirmed that work well, and I've been showing these models are ok to use in numerous threads, as well as showing hobbyists where to get them publicly or through Pms.

I don't give out other solenoid information because if there is no large quantity in a fair way everyone has a chance to grab, some people will take advantage of the info and act evil(grab them all on evil bay), I believe some people know what I am talking about here.
I don't against anyone who do their own research, and grab all the solenoids or metering valves that they feel suitable from ebay, but act like vultures taking advantage of others research efforts, not good.

#84 · (Edited)
I don't give out other solenoid information because if there is no large quantity in a fair way everyone has a chance to grab, some people will take advantage of the info and act evil(grab them all on evil bay), I believe some people know what I am talking about here.
I don't against anyone who do their own research, and grab all the solenoids or metering valves that they feel suitable from ebay, but act like vultures taking advantage of others research efforts, not good.

Who would do such a thing :eek: Not sure if that was towards me, I don't even sell. Did someone hog the burket solenoids? I totally miss that deal.

#79 ·
Clippard mouse, Numatics, Gems(re-branded), ASCO, and a couple more(not list here), are miniature or have miniature models, 10-32 manifold mounted type solenoids, these solenoids are slow flow rate and low power consumption, really good choice to use for our pressurized co2 system.

here is an old picture of the clippard mouse solenoid and the Numatics miniature stainless steel solenoid, on the clippard manifold.
and the burkert stainless steel type 200 solenoid is on the left.

#80 ·
For such a small request, I'm surprise they don't make the thing. The Gem is in-line and 70 dollar per unit with a min of 10. I check the other solenoids, unfortunately none of them stand out and are high watts. Davis Control (distributor) is trying to find me another option, very nice of them especially for just one person.

The Mac looks good, but I'm just so keen on getting these manifold. Would a custom order of a manifold be logical? I remember Swagelok had a poster saying something along the lines of "if you can dream it", "we can make it" or something.

What if we get the dimensions of the solenoids from their respective pdf, go to a shop and get them to drill the 1/8 holes.

PS - Couldn't find anything on the MAC, fleabay is weird sometimes. The clippard mouse always seem to show up and there is usually a very good deal on them. I seen lot of 5 for 30 bucks, shipping kills it for me though.

#81 ·
here is a good one, mask the name of the solenoid because I don't want to give out info before I can talk to the seller to see if he has more and lists them for sale individually(not "lot"), so everyone builds their own pressurized system has a fair chance to get one.
it is a stainless steel solenoid that can rival the Burkert 2822.

#82 ·
Thanks for the info, Betta. I haven't tested the MAC valves beyond reg and metering valve tests, during which they had no issues.

Interesting that you posted a pic of a Mouse and Numatics valve on the Clippard mount. You can really see the diameter difference. I assume they both work on that mount - is that a correct assumption?

Also interesting that the Gems are re-branded.

Hellfish, I tried to get my machinist friend to make me a bunch of SS Mouse mounts. Unfortunately, we've been drifting apart, though he still has my Mouse and mount, and I still have his promise to make me some. But it's been over a year now, so I'm not holding my breath. Might be worth looking into making a bunch of mounts. My friend told me a while back that the going rate was $30something/hour for just labor.

One other link - I've been using one of these on a Concoa 212 for a few months with no problems. It's a 4W SS CKD. Gets hot, but not too hot. Only problem is it's 1/8 BSPT ports, so you need two NPT/BSPT adapters and 1 BSPT plug. Probably $15-20 shipped from Grainger for 304 SS. And $21 shipped for the solenoid.
Evilbay #350448675414

As far as the MAC valve availability, there are 8 or 10 workable listings on the US 'bay, many of which have multiple units.

#83 ·
Interesting that you posted a pic of a Mouse and Numatics valve on the Clippard mount. You can really see the diameter difference. I assume they both work on that mount - is that a correct assumption?

Clippard mouse, Numatics, Asco, Gems, and some other brands(don't want to give out info), if the solenoids are miniature 10-32 manifold mounted, manifold inlet/outlet type,
they all work on a clippard 15490 manifold.

and clippard is the only source provide single manifold that for $5 a piece, shipping and handling charge is not friendly though.

#85 ·
nice solenoids and low power consumption, and actually the SMC VQ100 series pneumatic circuit solenoid, it is the lowest power consumption miniature type, I try to build a aluminum manifold but fail, not be able to achieve the precision on metal working, aluminum is not good to drill or tap, not like brass.
other SMC miniature, so bad there is no 1/8 npt port version and a clippard mouse solenoid mounted type is not be able to find.

Who would do such a thing Not sure if that was towards me
Not you, I am talking about who bought the 5 Matheson 9400 on evil bay, and it is not the only case.

#92 ·
choice is limited on regular 1/8 npt port solenoid from humphrey.

only one model(2.4watts) out of the regular 1/8 npt port 2 way solenoid, is below 4watts.
currently have them(2.4watts) on the selling units.

low power consumption stainless steel Humphrey model exist, but not available on their website or on any PDF, they are the special order.
I was lucky to obtain some of these special Humphrey stainless steel solenoids, I believe they were used in tech trade show, then liquidated after the show.
it is in the picture, wasn't ready to give the name so I masked it, but now all of you know it is a Humphrey stainless steel solenoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.