The Planted Tank Forum banner

Recommend an automatic fish feeder

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hgfx 
#1 ·
I'll be going back home for the holidays for 9 days (the 20th-29th), so I need an automatic fish feeder. The lights I can put on a timer. At the local Petco they had the Eheim feeder for $40. They also had the Petco-brand feeder for $20, but I don't think the quality is very good.

Any recommendations? If I get a feeder, I would only use it a few times a year.

#2 ·
Test it well before you leave for the holidays !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also suggest mounting it high off the tank and using a paper towel tube or PVC tube to guide the food into the tank. Moisture coming off the tank can clog most automatic feeders in less time than seems possible.

#4 ·
I have this one and it is pretty popular

http://www.tbaquatics.com/eheim-eve...er-1052.html?gclid=CO2BgpGyhLQCFegWMgodCzwANQ

this one, I think, would be better

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754940

the first one has settings that you can adjust how much food comes out and can feed you fish up to 4X aday. each feeding can give one or two servings.
-the problem is that, IME, there is very little consistency in how much food comes out, sometimes a tsp sometimes a tbs.

The second one you fill each chamber with how much food you want, so the more you put in the more gets fed--very exact. plus you can put different foods in different chambers for variety.
--the problem is that it only has 14 chambers so your limited depending on the length of you vacation and how often you want your fish fed

#7 ·
I have the one in the petsmart link and think it's excellent. If I was gone for nine days I would set it up for two feeding and turn it on just before leaving. Then the fish would feed for 7 days and be waiting only a couple of days for my return.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.